View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Help I'm a noob! 

Post Help I'm a noob!
Ok. I'll admit it. I'm real bad at everything :shock: . I don't know how to start modding. I don't know anything at all. The CC Wiki modding section isn't working right now, so I need somebody to help. Anything will do. Programmes i need, tips etc.
Thnx, Evil Kadow Crab :x

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Post Re: Help I'm a noob!
all you need is notepad, mspaint, and a good understanding of game logic.
my first tip would be to first, back up your dummy.rte folder (copy it, and call it "DUMMYBAK") and then go in and play with some values, see what you can do. then make your own modding.rte and play around in there, using your own code, not just modifying someone elses. im off now, hopefully someone can give you something more in-depth.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 pm
Profile WWW

Thnx, it worked! I worked on a crab and sort of made an uber-crab.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:49 pm

do stuff like mess with the variables (numbers that define power, speed, mass...) in the .ini files. i would rather not explain it in full right now. basicly just mess with the variables and look at the indexes. then start making your own lines of code, and then make an rte. copy other files into the .rte, and then make an index. test it. run out the bugs. and you will probably learn from then on.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Uh-Oh :shock: . I think I may have just buggered up the game. It stops working randomly while loading. But it cuts out while loading the missions, and I didn't change them! What have I done... :???: :???: :???:

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Crashes are the reason you backed up all the files you modified like geti suggested :wink:. If you didn't don't worry, just reinstall Cortex Command after saving your custom .rte folders elsewhere.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 am

Actually, don't listen to them, they didn't read it properly.

The current build of cortex command (build 22 for archiving purposes) has a dodgy line of code somewhere in missions.rte
Mods often have this problem, it's where an ini file is (somehow) corrupted, but not enough to make the game always crash.
I have exactly the same problem.

What can you do about it?
Nothing. Wait for Data or numgun or 'bubs to fix it next build.

You should put a post about it in... wherever but reports go, I'll back you up.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 am

Had the same thing happen to me :(
Always crashed about three seconds after the dropship on the zombie mission appeared, but I digress
about the whole noob with modding thing, when I first started modding (although haven't released anything yet) I just messed with the shoot rate of guns, then made my first sprite and right now are making a mod that I plan to release :grin:

btw I've been lurking since the early life of CC

Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:07 am

The way I found out how to mod was going through and changing one thing at a time, and writing down what every value did. Yeah, it took a long time but I certainly know how to mod!! Too bad I suck at sprites :(. But that's what The sprite dump is for right??

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm

the mod not working thing might be that you dont have promgrounds.rte . i downloaded it from somewhere on here(cant remember) and then the mods started working just fine.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=de5c ... f6e8ebb871

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Exalion wrote:
The current build of cortex command (build 22 for archiving purposes) has a dodgy line of code somewhere in missions.rte
Mods often have this problem, it's where an ini file is (somehow) corrupted, but not enough to make the game always crash.
I have exactly the same problem.

What can you do about it?
Nothing. Wait for Data or numgun or 'bubs to fix it next build.

You should put a post about it in... wherever but reports go, I'll back you up.

Indeed. Shadow Echelon has been cursed with this problem, the ini of custom wounds gets corrupted.
I've even completely deleted it and remade it several times, but eventually the ini of wounds always becomes corrupted, and it crashes upon loading sometimes, seemingly at random. It's generally when it's shortly into parsing the data.
I think one time I even redid all the code for the entirety of the faction to avoid this problem, to no avail.

At one point this was the sole reason for it not being released, but then I added a bunch of unpolished concepts and lost interest, so there's that problem too now.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]