View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Glows (sunglasses not needed) 

Post Glows (sunglasses not needed)
How can I attach glows to things? I'm especially intrested in adding them to bullets but any info will be appreciated like how to add them to specific places on gun or actor so his eyes will glow and stuff.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm
Banned

Post Re: Glows (sunglasses not needed)
addattachable and make it the glow sprite. Put it wherever you want the glow to be using X/Y coordinates.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:53 pm

...No.
If you don't know, then don't say, or find out and say, don't give a guess, especially without saying that it's only just a guess.

Or you were right, but I read it wrong. For specifically offset stuff, yes I think you do need to use attachables, but you don't set it's sprite to the glow, you set the glow up as follows, and make the sprite null or whatever. You made it sound like glow attachments in general were attachbles, though.

Anyways, here.

Code:
   ScreenEffect = ContentFile
      FilePath = Base.rte/Effects/Glows/YellowSmall.bmp
   EffectStartTime = 0
   EffectStopTime = 300
   EffectStartStrength = 0.65
   EffectStopStrength = 0.3

This is from the dummy nailgun's code.

The times are in milliseconds, thousandths of seconds, just like LifeTime on particles.
The strengths are zero (none) to one. (fully displayed) While other stuff works, it looks super screwy, but kinda cool.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 pm

I tried attachable with null sprite already, but it gives errors when trying to attach it to MOPixel. I guess its engine thing that you can't do so, so I'm wondering if there is any other way to do it?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 pm

For MOPixels and MOSParticles, you can't do the attachable thing, you just plop that bit of code right onto the MOPixel/MOSParticle. (tabbed accordingly)

If you want to offset it on the bullet, you'll have to edit the glow's image, for instance if you put more black below it, then it'll appear that the glow is higher up. However this doesn't rotate with the object, so it's not the preferable way for other stuff, because thew the glow won't align with a certain part of the object. But for MOPixels and MOSParticles, they don't rotate anyway.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Azukki wrote:
For MOPixels and MOSParticles, you can't do the attachable thing, you just plop that bit of code right onto the MOPixel/MOSParticle. (tabbed accordingly)

Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted. :grin:.

You could compile it in some kind of mini tutorial, all that info surely will be helpful for new modders.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]