View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 [WIP] Epic Gene 

Post [WIP] Epic Gene
This is my first mod that I feel I can release. Of course, I still need to work on it. But I think I can make it into a good mod.

I'll spare you the whole backstory, but the basic idea is that scientists have discovered an incredibly rare DNA sequence that creates a special kind of protein within your nerve cells. This protein can seemingly create incredible and strange kinds of energy from nowhere (though the general consensus is that it has a link to an alterdimensional energy source).

This is the scientific way of saying that you can shoot crap out of your hands that kills people.

At the moment, I have three weapons: two that I feel are rather well balanced, and one that is a cheat weapon.

The Spirit:
The Spirit can call forth spirit beings that will follow your will. These have very little effect on terrain or anything armored (dropships, drones, etc.) but will destroy any living thing (and rockets too, for some reason).

Known Issues:
* One or more of the glows has visible square corners around it. I could use some advice to help fix this.

The Ripple:
The Ripple can release a small pulse into the fabric of space, bending it into a wave that will tear apart anything it meets. Has almost no effect on terrain, however.

Known Issues:
* I'm not sure I've really made this as balanced as it should be. If anyone could give me tips on how it could be more balanced, I would be much obliged.

The Fury:
The Fury will rape everything. You must be careful with this gun, because it's quite possible you could kill your brain just by randomly aiming and unleashing. On small maps, you can easily kill yourself with it just because the map wraps on the X axis.

Known Issues:
* Does raping everything count as an issue?

All criticism is welcomed. Also, ideas for new weapons? I can't release this with only two proper weapons.

Attachments:
File comment: Epic Gene download
EpicGene.rte.zip [39.42 KiB]
Downloaded 167 times
Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Post Re: [WIP] Epic Gene
Looks like it has some nice effects, slightly original.

And your AEmitters look a little heavy.

Testing later.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:03 pm

reduce terrain rape on the pulse, because even from the .gif i can see that after a few uses my map is going to be a mess.
to fix the square outline, go into your glow sprite and make sure its actually black, not just really dark purple (which is what it looks like it is, again from the .gif)
also, better sprites on the weapons themeselves would be nice.
cutting down the rape on the fury would make it less noobish. nice effects though, albeit laggy <_<
my 2c.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Profile WWW

Effects look very epic, DL.

But one thing, make so the symbols for the powers are not held in hands. You can reference WizCorps mod for that.

EDIT: Tested. Not bad.For first mod, this is really worth the DL.

However the Fury has some really balance and lag issue. I mean, one shot can basically annihilate anything in its path, no need to give it 999 bullets. Besides, one shot is enough to lag dead souls out of hell. Nerf it, make it so that you have the need to push down the fire button, Not just uber all the way.

Last edited by The Decaying Soldat on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm

i love The FuryImage

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile ICQ

HappyBirthday wrote:

What do you mean?

Geti wrote:
reduce terrain rape on the pulse, because even from the .gif i can see that after a few uses my map is going to be a mess.

I don't see what you mean, the Ripple doesn't do much to terrain at all.

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
However the Fury has some really balance and lag issue. I mean, one shot can basically annihilate anything in its path, no need to give it 999 bullets. Besides, one shot is enough to lag dead souls out of hell. Nerf it, make it so that you have the need to push down the fire button, Not just uber all the way.

Hahah okay. I originally made it with the intent of being far too powerful. I'll work on balancing it. I'm thinking making it one shot per clip and making the reload times long... would that work?

Thanks for the input everyone!

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:47 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Make it so it has spinup time instead of long reload time, it's better to stand 10 seconds before releasing it than wait 10 seconds after.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 pm

SgtBaboon wrote:
HappyBirthday wrote:

What do you mean?

Too much recoil.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:31 pm
Banned

Lizard wrote:
Make it so it has spinup time instead of long reload time, it's better to stand 10 seconds before releasing it than wait 10 seconds after.

Wouldn't you still have to wait another 10 seconds before using it again?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:18 pm
Profile YIM

To reduce the squareness of your glows, make sure that the dark color in their sprites is actually pure black ( 0,0,0 ). Any other color will cause the game to render the edges as a grayish color, giving the glow that square-like appearance.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Metal Meltdown wrote:
Lizard wrote:

Wouldn't you still have to wait another 10 seconds before using it again?

Yes, but one could put it away right after using it and then use it again when needed, no scuttling off like a crab just to reload.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Lizard wrote:

So make the fire rate high instead of the reload time? That sounds good, I'll do that. Unless anyone has a better idea, that is.

EDIT: I have changed it to have 5 rounds a clip, a FireRate of 12, and a ReloadTime of 1000. I find that it's not particularly easy to use this way, however, since you don't know when your next shot is coming so you jam wildly on the button hoping you can shoot the enemy before they kill you. I think I'm gonna go with the long reload time instead. It works well with the Ripple.

HappyBirthday wrote:
SgtBaboon wrote:
HappyBirthday wrote:

What do you mean?

Too much recoil.

Oh I see. I'll work on that, thanks.

EDIT: Now I think about it, the recoil seems like it fits. I think there should be a physical consequence for using these powers. I'm gonna leave it like it is. Just remember not to shoot the Fury while flying.

Attachment:
File comment: Updated Epic Gene, with edited Fury and fixed glows on the Spirit.
EpicGene.rte.zip [39.06 KiB]
Downloaded 128 times

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]