View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The next generation of lightning weapons. 

Post Re: The next generation of lightning guns.
Resurrecting my own thread going back to this quote of mine:

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
I actually was planning on a Tesla Tower-esque Bunker Module for defense.

Well, I've finally gotten the motivation to start spriting it (early WIP):

I've already got glow effects (animated), sounds, and after the sprite is done I'll just need some Lua-works.

Plan is to have it sense nearby enemies, charge up and rip off a lightning discharge at them, with a jumping chain-lightning effect if multiple enemies are within discharge range.

Should be awesome.

Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: The next generation of lightning weapons.
Should be very awesome indeed. Nice sprite, the pipes could be curved in the ends thouhgh, to display the perspective a bit better.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am

Sprite looks lovely, but the main body is a little shiny, and the pipes going in to it look a touch odd.

Furthermore, the Dummy colour scheme slightly restricts how it can be used, so I don't know if you might want to make a more neutral version as well.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:52 pm
Profile WWW

As a failure mode, it's gotta get stuck on overcharge and zap anything until it explodes.
So if you assault it and damage the control circuits it gets locked "on" and just overcharges for a while, and then explodes violently.
Is this awesome y/n ?

If you don't, I'll have to.

Fri May 07, 2010 4:09 pm

I asked in the lua subfourm if there was a way to do this bassicly, but I also wanted it so I could charge up the gun and hold the charge for a bit before it would misfire and some other stuff.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=17559&p=327268#p327268 maybe it will give you some idea's .

Fri May 07, 2010 6:26 pm
Profile WWW

Why don't you theme the bunker defence module as a Tesla Tower? :grin:

Fri May 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Very nice avatar LFoW. Wouldn't be more fitting.

As for the coil tower: :-P

Will it auto aim like the Arc Rifle in D-9 mod? I mean: Zzzzap! *head explosion* =gibbath.

nice nice nice nice

Sat May 08, 2010 10:04 am

PhantomAGN wrote:
As a failure mode, it's gotta get stuck on overcharge and zap anything until it explodes.
So if you assault it and damage the control circuits it gets locked "on" and just overcharges for a while, and then explodes violently.
Is this awesome y/n ?

If you don't, I'll have to.

This is definitely something I was looking into already. I've got some great glows/sounds for when it charges up. My main problem is going to be the lightning itself.

I also have some great lightning bolt glows, but I don't remember if you can rotate glows at all (you can't IIRC). So I may end up having to hand sprite them.

Petethegoat wrote:
Sprite looks lovely, but the main body is a little shiny, and the pipes going in to it look a touch odd.

Furthermore, the Dummy colour scheme slightly restricts how it can be used, so I don't know if you might want to make a more neutral version as well.

The sprite is still WIP, and it will get more love after some basic functionality is implemented. I'm aware of the pipes problem. They aren't in perspective, but quite easy to fix.

Also, I've never found the Dummy colour scheme restricting at all. There's more yellow-orange ramps in our palette than anything really, and it's no secret I love Dummies. Personally I find it plausible that a new weapon would appear in a Dummy test lab first before appearing elsewhere.

Culthero wrote:
Will it auto aim like the Arc Rifle in D-9 mod? I mean: Zzzzap! *head explosion* =gibbath.

I haven't played with that one yet, but I plan on making it an actor that will simply charge up to a threshold and discharge a shot off at an enemy in range, or allow you to select it and manually rip off a bolt yourself. Basic functionality will be near identical to Red Alert's Tesla towers ideally.

In terms of lightning guns in CC I really was inspired by Electroclan's Tesla Cannon.

Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Perhaps you might want to do what Darlos did and make the lightning procedurally out of a bunch of small glow particles.

Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

411570N3 wrote:
Perhaps you might want to do what Darlos did and make the lightning procedurally out of a bunch of small glow particles.

Yeah I'll have to see what looks best in the end. My gut feeling says I'll end up going with hand-sprited lightning, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Sun May 09, 2010 6:16 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
411570N3 wrote:

Yeah I'll have to see what looks best in the end. My gut feeling says I'll end up going with hand-sprited lightning, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

you could ask him to borrow it and do some slight changes

Sun May 09, 2010 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3