View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dummy faction mechanics 

Post Dummy faction mechanics
*hope this is the right forum*

Hello! I am currently in the process of creating a dummy soldier and a drednought in 3d for a school assigment. I decided to do this after deciding I'm too busy already to worry about coming up with something original. (and the original stuff I came up with sort of fell apart)

So I was wondering if there was any official concept art or something released that... could give me a better idea on how the dummy faction units, and especially the dreadnought worked. Does the whole top part turn around when it turns or just the turret... part? what kind of parts are there exactly. I can pull something out of.. the air, but if there actually was some explanations it would help alot.

The school assignment is to create 2 robots, one human like (2 legs, 2 arms, spine and head) and one non-human like. It's a class on rigging so the models wont be anything super detailed.

If anyone can help with this, it's greatly appreciated.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Post Re: Dummy faction mechanics
ProjektODIN wrote:
Definitely the wrong place.

Now THAT is helpful.

Also, for the dreadnought, I would suggest looking at the leg sprites to figure out how they move and for the turret, I think it just spins around.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Imageyaay

Figuring this stuff out of the sprites is not ... well I can do it, but have to rely on my imagination so much. Having some official art to look at would definitely be great.

Have really no idea on what is on the sides of the barrel thing.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:44 pm

Morr wrote:
Imageyaay

Figuring this stuff out of the sprites is not ... well I can do it, but have to rely on my imagination so much. Having some official art to look at would definitely be great.

Have really no idea on what is on the sides of the barrel thing.

Nice artwork. I can tell you you're own the right track, that thing looks like a dreadnought a lot.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Wow, thats exactly how I imagined those, great job.
Although now me and my mind are fighting about the feasibility of such a bot, my brain says that it would be way to unstable and should have at least 6 legs positioned around the circumference, but I say that it perfectly explains how wobbly they are in game, bah.
Anyway, great job.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:58 am

Hey, it's Morr! Big fan of your work. As for the conept art, there none that I am aware of.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:52 am

that is a seriously bitching pic.
It makes me feel sad about my own feeble art "skills"

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:56 am

Its not actually CC concept art, but you might take a look around Prom's site
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/
He did (all?) of the current digi paints that I know of. I dont think he's got any of the CC art on his site but just looking at the way he works might give some idea of how he'd make the CC robots work...

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:19 am

Yeah, we are seriously lacking some good CC concept art. Would be helpful for other purposes too.

I think you managed pretty well with that Dummy soldier though;

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 am

A.K.A.Steve wrote:
Wow, thats exactly how I imagined those, great job.
Although now me and my mind are fighting about the feasibility of such a bot, my brain says that it would be way to unstable and should have at least 6 legs positioned around the circumference, but I say that it perfectly explains how wobbly they are in game, bah.
Anyway, great job.

Gyroscopes my friend, gyroscopes.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:45 am

Well, finally realized I have less than a day to get this stuff done. Started to really rush it. Anyways, did some random things with a "eh, that's close enough" -attitude.

Haven't done textures yet. Will probably redo the legs and add more detail to it overall if I have time.

Now I just have to do the Dummy before friday! Urgh.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:54 am

hmm, the legs now seem to have lost all actuation capabilities, now it looks like a statue that I would put in my living room, it would appear that with the current legs bending of the knee has become impossible due to the lower armor extending out to a point of intersection with the joint armor. It would also appear that the hip joints(either ball joint or two motors, one horizontal and one vertical) have been welded to the frame, ie. there doesnt appear to be any gap, which would be necessary for the movement needed to propel the robot. But other than that when the textures are added it should look great. It may add a touch of effect to see the glow from a light, ie. see a faint glow by the gun.

PS. Sorry if thats a bit to OCD, I design bots(never get around to building...) as a hobby...

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:01 am

it could move, those two armor pieces on the feet might as well be connected 'cus they aren't the ones bending. There is a little joint hidden behind the top piece and another joint at the base part.
and btw, that is actually really amazing looking.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:35 am

Wow detailed reply, thats great.

Uh, Don't know if I understand what you're saying exactly (problems with the english language)...

I was under the impression that the legs dont actually bend from the "knee". I can do a pretty decent walking animation with the current one.

And yeah, the legs look like theyre welded to the center part, didn't have time to make anything better right now. Have to have rigged versions done by friday so I'm cutting corners. Hopefully will have time to come back and refine that stuff. Sort of want to redo the legs completely.

If you want, you can draw me detailed pictures of the joints and stuff :P

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:47 am

Yea.... but I have zero artistic ability, with graph paper and a pen I could draw a detailed isometric drive system, but ask me to draw a tree/person/dog or anything else organic, and you can expect me to draw a decent stick figure or a disfigured whoknowswhat. :grin:
Also, if I were to draw them I would make them realistic and defeat the entire robot, yay for robot obsessions...

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next