View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:18 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Disspointed 

Post Disspointed
Quote:
Did you read that devlog?

How about the disclaimer when you bought the game, which specifically stated that Cortex Command might never be finished?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Thanks for Locking the topic Grif so I could not reply.

Read the disclaimer?

yes, I know it might never be finished but it still does not mean I cant be dissapointed. Another Indie game I have been playing which is free and really good is 'Dwarf Fortress' - this guy askes for no money at all for his game and updates his dev log 'DAILY!' - He also has updates for the actual game probably every week. The Code he uses is highly complex, probably even more so than cortex command (each individual can even have an inujry on something as small as a finger or toe) and this is 1 guy working on it - What I am getting down to is that I am not impressed with the development speed of this game, it has real potential and I look forward to the finished product in say... oh ...5 years maybe at this rate seeing as though they are rewriting all the code again to possibly accept this new physics engine that squashes objects ect.... the thing that attrated me to this game originally was how oldschool the style/gameplay/graphics where - a bit like worms - I personally think it should be left like this, completed and then maybe use all those new physics in cortex command 2. I am going to repeat again because you seemed to have missed the point last time - I am just voicing my oppinion that I think it is taking a very long time, thats all. I am not whining, I am expressing what I think would be a better approach to making the game.

what you said...Yeah dont think so? - dont be such a smartass grif, not even giving me time to reply, locking the topic and assuming my answer is just cocky... maybe it was just that time of the month for you huh?

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:42 pm
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Disspointed
I believe Grif locked the topic because he believed no useful discussion would be generated by leaving it open.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:52 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Opinions can be overlooked, the developers have been a prime example of this. ( Too busy doing work things, like coding, and development )
Toady is a ♥♥♥♥ master programmer, working alone, on a game, that mostly needs ai, and reaction debugging.
This game needs to have its engine mostly rewritten, using fancy physics, what not, and junk that is way more rigorously than simple debugging. Also, Data isn't a lone coder anymore, that was long ago, so he has to do teamwork things.

Grif is the one of the most reasonable guys on this forums, he definitely knows a thing or two about people, and threads, since he has been part of these forums for a long time.

You are ignoring what Grif said, AGAIN.

Duh, I feel this thread may need some supervision. ( I hope to see you in the channel before the game starts, for I'd like to see petethegoat do better than MLC as DiceLord, today )

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:46 pm
happy carebear mom

Roadkill wrote:
What I am getting down to is that I am not impressed with the development speed of this game, it has real potential and I look forward to the finished product in say... oh ...5 years maybe at this rate seeing as though they are rewriting all the code again to possibly accept this new physics engine that squashes objects ect....

I think you misread the devlog btw. Cortex command isn't having it's engine rewritten at all, the new squashy engine (the Cave Vehicle Engine) is going to be used in a new game, and Data isn't even working on it right now. He's partnering up with another coder, who's doing the bulk of the engine work. As far as finishing Cortex, Data said he's prioritizing doing just that. By the amount of time he's put into b24, I'm starting to wonder if he's going to just complete it all in one release, slap a sticker on it and let it go.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:04 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Duh102 wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
What I am getting down to is that I am not impressed with the development speed of this game, it has real potential and I look forward to the finished product in say... oh ...5 years maybe at this rate seeing as though they are rewriting all the code again to possibly accept this new physics engine that squashes objects ect....

I think you misread the devlog btw. Cortex command isn't having it's engine rewritten at all, the new squashy engine (the Cave Vehicle Engine) is going to be used in a new game, and Data isn't even working on it right now. He's partnering up with another coder, who's doing the bulk of the engine work. As far as finishing Cortex, Data said he's prioritizing doing just that. By the amount of time he's put into b24, I'm starting to wonder if he's going to just complete it all in one release, slap a sticker on it and let it go.

Well he has a lot of devs on his team with rights to the dev copy, so he may get all the commentary he needs.
So, yeah, probably.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:41 pm

When Data updates CC, it's usually a large update with many things changed, instead numerous updates with a handful of changes. Also, keep in mind that Data is a human being. He probably gets tired sitting in front of the computer all day programming and wants to take a break.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 pm
happy carebear mom

I think the major reason he doesn't update/work on CC much anymore is because he's been working on it for years. Projects get old fast if you have to look at them after years of working on them.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:46 pm

No guy, the new engine is a seperate project. It's not going to cross pollinate with CC.

Also, it's likely that there will be big changes in B24, with the content tweak thread and numgun's survey. I talked to him and he said that he's changing a lot of things, like jetpacks.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:59 pm

It goes without saying that CC has undergone a ridiculous amount of development time, which seems to indicate Data doesn't really work on it except in a small amount of his free time. When I bought the game I didn't expect it to be finished, I just wanted to support the dev.

Toady actually cares about his product, as people use it. That really...isn't the case with Cortex Command. From the data's eyes he probably considers it a flop. It's generated about 50 active modders/players? He doesn't really have a large base to appeal to so he clearly won't care as much about the game.

But yeah it is pretty out of hand with the amount of time it's taken.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 pm

But you must not forget that Toady left a two-year hiatus between versions 40D and 31.01 of DF. I guess that's just how it works with indie developing, you don't have a 100-people team to make the game in six months or so.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Data is quite a lazy bum when it comes to coding. But hey, he gets the job done, and with quality, so why bother?

TL;DR : Data doesn't read the forums, so there's no point in complaining here. Grif, feel free to lock this again.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

The "injury on a finger or toe" thing isn't really all that complex.

Yes, the game is taking time to make. But think yourself lucky that you can play it now. A standard commercial game is released when it's done, not piece by piece.
If you've bought the game, you get the next releases. You aren't promised it'll be finished. If you haven't, then you can. But stop complaining that it's taking too long to release. You try making a game as good as this.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Also, since he doesn't have a timeline you'll notice he's doing everything RIGHT instead of botching together your $60 console games that you don't even have user-development kits for. ♥♥♥♥ Microsoft.

Anyways just let Daniel do his thing, there are plenty of other games/jobs/life things to keep you entertained while he finishes Cortex Command in the direction he wants to take it. Ya ungrateful monkey.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Areku wrote:
he gets the job done, and with quality

Except, he doesn't. Really the game is quite low quality. A great, and most obvious example would be his lua implementation. I was looking through the wiki and it's quite simply badly done. Things don't work. I tried like literally...an entire class. Half of it worked as expected.

Quote:
Yes, the game is taking time to make. But think yourself lucky that you can play it now. A standard commercial game is released when it's done, not piece by piece.

This isn't a standard commercial game. It's a standard indie game, and standard indie games don't take this long to make unless it's not being worked on at all.

Quote:
stop complaining that it's taking too long to release. You try making a game as good as this.

That's probably the most terrible argument I've heard on these forums thusfar. "Hey screw you critics of avatar the last airbender, you try making a movie this good!!"

That is not. how. things. work. "This restaurant is really crappy." "Oh yeah? You try making one as good as this!!"

Do you realize what a dumb fallacy that is? Quite simply cortex command is not an amazing game in the slightest. There are plenty of better games out there that are much more engaging, made in less time with the same or less amount of devs(2). I paid less for beat hazard and it's a much better game. So really, you don't have a point at all there.

Quote:
Also, since he doesn't have a timeline you'll notice he's doing everything RIGHT instead of botching together your $60 console games that you don't even have user-development kits for. ♥♥♥♥ Microsoft.

He's not doing everything right. Where are you getting this shroud of holiness you're cloaking over all things datarealms? CC is far from perfect and a great example of botched is its lua system.

♥♥♥♥ Microsoft? I hope you're running CC on Debian. Or, even slower, on a Mac.

Quote:
Anyways just let Daniel do his thing, there are plenty of other games/jobs/life things to keep you entertained while he finishes Cortex Command in the direction he wants to take it. Ya ungrateful monkey.

Complaints make the world go around. Hopefully he would read the forums from time to time and notice the complaining, eventually. It's a good motivation factor to know people still care about what you're doing.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:16 am

Patriot24 wrote:
*rant*

Look, don't get me wrong over this, but I'm starting to get the impression that you are a THOR alt. Just sayin'.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:36 am
Profile WWW

After looking up Patriot's posts, I am pretty sure that this person is infact not Thor/ a Thor alt:

From topic: Roll To Dodge! BOSS 5: TWIGGY
Patriot24 wrote:
Wow long topic @_@

Where can I download this game guys? I want to play with you.

I cannot imagine that being Thor. Either that or Thor is being sarcastic.

Can't do an IP address check (well I can't) yet... Unless Patriot edits one of his/her posts or changes his/her password.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next