View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mod Contest 4 | Voting 

Which mod is best, according to the criteria?
Poll ended at Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:51 am
AbsolutelyHarmlessCorridor.rte - Harmless Modules 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
ATrapModule.rte - Zombie & Reactor Modules 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
HousePlant.rte - Killer Plant 53%  53%  [ 19 ]
Mine.rte - Mines 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Safe Corp.rte - Safe Corp. 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Smackfloor.rte - S.M.A.C.K.E.R. Floor 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 36

Mod Contest 4 | Voting 
happy carebear mom

Post Mod Contest 4 | Voting

Download the mods below and vote for your favorite one.

Mod criteria:
-Booby traps must be bunker modules.
-Must have some way of being activated BEFORE they act. For instance, something that has to be stepped on or picked up.

Mods will should be judged using some of the following criteria:
-Originality
-Humor, if applicable
-Looks
-Functionality

NOTES
HousePlant.rte
-Lua intensive. Placing 1 - 5 should work fine.
-Automated or manually controlled.
-'Couch' to use tongue. Plant is healed some while digesting. 'Fire' to spit them back out.
-'Drop Weapon' to reset plant trap. Will not reactivate until an enemy is close again. Heals all plant wounds.
AbsolutelyHarmlessCorridor.rte
-Will lag tremendously when playing against the AI. Works fine in 2+ player mode with no AI present.
For your sake, and your CPU's, do not use it in signleplayer... Unless you like your FPS <= 0
Mine.rte
-READ THE NOTES FILE INCLUDED IN .RTE FOR HELP

DL: Mediafire

Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 am

Post Re: Mod Contest 4 | Voting
YAY Cant wait to vote. Will edit with comments

EDIT: OKAY HERE ARE MY COMMENTS

AbsolutelyHarmlessCorridor.rte

-Originality: pretty original
-Humor: lulled at the light and the face
-Looks: pretty simple but not bad
-Functionality: 80% deathrate

ATrapModule.rte

-Originality: pretty original.
-Humor: laughed at the zombies and the weird dude.
-Looks: maby needs less vanilla.
-Functionality: the zombie maker would work well in a mission.

HousePlant.rte

-Originality: Very original.
-Humor: Very epic.
-Looks: offsets could be improved.
-Functionality: only bad thing is that enemies see it before it sees them.

Mine.rte

-Originality: Kinda original.
-Humor: Very fun to watch enemies shred by shrapnel and crushed by boulders.
-Looks: needs kooler sprites.
-Functionality: boulders would work well in a mission, mines are an effective base defense that fits anywhere.

Safe Corp.rte

-Humor: pretty fun to watch.
-Looks: looks very good just needs some tweaking.
-Functionality: I do not like that the bunker is one piece, that makes it hard to use it in different places. Enemies take a while to pass the first trap.

Smackfloor.rte

-Humor: fun to watch.
-Looks: looks very good just needs to be smaller.
-Functionality: I like that it can be bypassed by crouching.

Great job, Good luck, and may the best modder win

Last edited by domtech on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:03 am

The Absolutely Perfectly Harmless module was as described. :(

The Killer Plant was my favorite. But the person had to be WAAAYYY too close to activate it.

The Maximum Security fortress was very cool, and balanced,
but people always get stuck in the ditch where the first trap is.
Also the bullets from the first trap were like marshmallows.
All the traps worked fine (when the AI could get past the ditch).

The Mines.... meh.

The Smacker Floor: Blood on the Ceiling.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 am
Profile WWW

I like the fortress module, it was really easy to dodge though, and the last two traps didn't work.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 am

I couldn't get the Harmless Corridor to work =(. However, I really liked the light.

And I agree, the large module in Safe Corp.rte would be better if it were broken up into pieces. Also, although the final trap was epically awesome, I had to park my butt on the laser trigger for several seconds to set it off.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:29 am

I was planning to do some fun stuff with ParentOffset and Inventory(). Didn't have any sprites.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:03 am

Here are my playing experiences.

Absolutely harmless corridor is absolutely harmless, to me. Shot the light, does nothing, enemy walked through, still nothing.

Mines, could be better if you can place them individually. The boulder mine is definitely more original.

Zombie chamber is great. I've always wanted a gas chamber in my base. Though a bit big, and a bit too vanilla.

Smackfloor is not too original I guess. Accelerators in the BW mod does almost the same thing. As a trap though, it's effective.

Safe Corp would have been my favorite if the traps can be individually placed, and if they are more sensitive. I suggest you modify and release it as a mod after the competition, whoever you are. I like it.

Houseplant is not beautifully sprited but it's animation is great. It looks alive, looks organic, and has the most original idea: a trap that heal itself with the enemies and also uses them as a weapon. If only it has longer range and cause less crashes. I seriously hope the modder would improve and release it in the future.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Review time!

1- Harmless corridor: LUUUUAAA ERRROOORR! I assume it would do something interesting, but if it doesn't work, that's a no-no. Is IsEmitting() a function at all? The ceiling light was awesome, though, and the name was absolutely correct.

2- Zombie & Reactor modules: Well done, but could have more new stuff. As it has been said before, the zombie tank could be good for a mission. I loled at the reactor joke. Hard.

3- Killer Plant: Now, who is the evil genius behind this?! This is just too awesome to be peacefully accepted! Heck, that tongue thing was amazing! This thing is perfect, just perfect. My only complaint is the fact that sometimes the bulb looks as if it was floating in front of the other parts of the plant, depending on your aim angle.

4- Mines: Well, this sure works very well, but lacked a bit in originality. I mean, it was just a set of bunker modules with a single mine attached. Though useful, didn't have that little extra something that makes a mod really awesome.

5- Awesome. Other words can't describe this. Seeing an actor evading trap after trap with somersaults, jumps, a bit of shooting and crouching at the right moment was just too cool to describe. Heck, you should rename this to "Indiana Dafred and the kingdom of the Crystal Brain". Tested and aprooved.

6- Smacker floor: Cool. Watching people splattering on the ceiling is always amusing, though this trap was a bit too unstoppable. Making it smaller would also be nice.

...Truth be told, this contest was actually really cool. A great amount of creativity and ingenuity was shown here. I would say DRL deserves an A+, or at least A-, for this.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 pm
Profile WWW

LFoW's Report Card:

Harmless Corridor:
The light was well done, and the module was funny. The lag, even with the forewarning, made it really unacceptable in my book. Grade: B-

Zombie Gas Chamber & Reactor!:
The zombie gas looked very nice. The puffs look familiar and I think I know who did this. The Reactor module was absolutely hilarious. It actually killed more people than any of the other traps. Only drawbacks were a lack of creative sprite work. Grade: B+

Killer Plant:
Very well done. Heavily coded, decent custom sprites, performed very well. I was most impressed by the way the actors got spit back out and gibbed. It was awesome. I was expecting the plant from Mario Bros, though. This thing was on the overpowered side, however. I think removing the shooting effect from it would balance it out. Grade: A

Mines:
For a trap they functioned ok. The sprite work was ok. They didn't stand out enough to have much else to say about them. Solid mod, but uninteresting. Grade: C+

Safe Corp:
Way too large. I couldn't see the ends when I was placing it. It should have either been shrunk down or split into separate modules. It did, however, function very well. The sounds were great. You did leave the Trap 1 ball thing buyable as a craft though. Spritework was pretty boring, but the overall idea was cool. Grade: A-

Smacker Floor:
Also rather large, but workable. Sprite work was minimal. It was fun to see normal actors get launched into the ceiling and splat, though it wasn't particularly interesting or creative. The ceiling slowly disintegrated from all the smashed bodies, and eventually became a launch pad. The Behemoth was unharmed by this module, so I guess it's just smaller actors that suffer here. Grade: B-

I still wish this contest was extended a bit though. You will all see why soon. :twisted:
These contests come around and go a little too quickly in my opinion to produce enough quality mods. Perhaps 1 1/2 to 2 weeks would be better.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Grahhhh, i'm pulling out. My mod fails bigtime... :'(
If only my lua skills were alittle bit better...

Kyred wrote:
I couldn't get the Harmless Corridor to work =(. However, I really liked the light.

Why is that?

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
Absolutely harmless corridor is absolutely harmless, to me. Shot the light, does nothing, enemy walked through, still nothing.

Why the hell would you shoot the goddamn light? Its the ♥♥♥♥ trigger!

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
The light was well done, and the module was funny. The lag, even with the forewarning, made it really unacceptable in my book. Grade: B-

I tried, I tried really hard, I rewrote the code several times, but still, either it did not work, or it lagged like crazy. :(

Areku wrote:
1- Harmless corridor: LUUUUAAA ERRROOORR! I assume it would do something interesting, but if it doesn't work, that's a no-no. Is IsEmitting() a function at all? The ceiling light was awesome, though, and the name was absolutely correct.

No ♥♥♥♥ way. Although it lags like ♥♥♥♥, there are absoutely no errors. I made sure of that.
And yes, IsEmitting() is a function.

So yeah, i'm pulling out. Should have done so after realizing I can't fix the lag.

[/wristcut]

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 pm

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
Mines, could be better if you can place them individually. The boulder mine is definitely more original.

you can place them individualy, they are in the actors tab

Attachments:
File comment: put the folder named Module in your cc folder
Module.rar [820 Bytes]
Downloaded 169 times

Last edited by domtech on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:17 pm

domtech wrote:
for you people who cant get Harmless Corridor to work i believe it requies the folder named "Module"
(it stopped working when i moved Module from my cc folder)

here it is
Attachment:
Module.rar

Wut?
No it doesn't. It doesn't need anything because it works on its own.

Proof of workingness on a CC with no mods - A reserve CC install I always keep to check my ♥♥♥♥ out.

I still like my entry removed from the voting list, for it seems to be failing.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:41 pm
happy carebear mom

MaximDude wrote:

I don't know if I can pull you out without messing up the other entries, and I'm not too keen on testing that hypothesis just in case. So, if it's alright with you I'll keep you in, unless a helpful mod can extract you without disturbing the poll, then your wish can be granted.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Duh102 wrote:
MaximDude wrote:

I don't know if I can pull you out without messing up the other entries, and I'm not too keen on testing that hypothesis just in case. So, if it's alright with you I'll keep you in, unless a helpful mod can extract you without disturbing the poll, then your wish can be granted.

Meh... Let it be then.
I guess it wouldn't be such a failure if people actually knew how to use it...

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

MaximDude wrote:
No fudge way. Although it lags like fudge, there are absoutely no errors. I made sure of that.
And yes, IsEmitting() is a function.

The console just says "attempting to call nil method :IsEmiting() =...".

But you are right, I searched the wiki and IsEmitting is a real function. The problem is that my game doesn't understand that... :???:

Well, I'll try making a fresh install and see if it works.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next