View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mod Contest 3 | Voting 

Which mod is best?
Poll ended at Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:12 am
Aerial Flamethrower.rte - Aerial Flamethrower 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Apollocalipse.rte - The Apollocalipse! 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
BoardingPod.rte - Boarding Pod 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
ComingOfGod.rte - Godly Descent 50%  50%  [ 32 ]
Destructo-Sphere.rte - Orb 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
DropRocket.rte - Drop Rocket 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
HArmorDS.rte - Heavy Armor Drop Ship 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Roller.rte - RotoRocket 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
TradeCrafts.rte - CraftsDwarf 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Zeppelin.rte - Zeppelin 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 64

Mod Contest 3 | Voting 

Post Re: Mod Contest 3 | Voting
I was really surprised with this contest. Overall quality was great, much more than I was expecting, specially for mods that had only 2 weeks to be developed.
Here's the complete review:

- Aerial Flamethrower: Pretty neat, and useful too. Pity that the movement system was so unstable, and that it always crashed on the ground after some time.

- Apollocalipse: Heh, I had a lot of fun with this one. Good spriting and coding, even though the main astronaut's face looked a bit like Chuck Norris. :P Crashes were a nasty downside, but most of them could be avoided by not opening craft doors while moving.

- Boarding Pod: Interesting concept and reasonable execution, but had already been done before. Long before.

- Godly Descent: :shock: Holy funky mother of crabcake. This is beyond amazing. Really, this goes right into the little "Mod Shrine" folder I have in my computer. Heck, I haven't seen anything like that since B18, like Nummy's Ypsilon Cannon and Zalo's AwesomeFantastic. Amazing from the beggining to the end. I can't even imagine how much Sparkle Magic was used on it. BTW, the reversed color thing is made by using a glow with negative strength.

- Orb: Pretty cool, but a bit overkill, no? I mean, the thing is nearly unkillable, and destroys anything with a couple of shots.

- Drop rocket: Looks neat, but isn't useful at all. Hard to control and too fragile.

- Heavy Dropship: A good replacement for the vanilla dropship. Balanced and generally well-done.

- RotoRocket: Hee hee. I had the most fun with this one. Completely crazy and unbalanced, but crushing people with two spinning rockets attached to each other was killer fun. :)

- Craft Dwarf: Oh well, I guess that "craft" can also mean that. The deployed items were too cheap to be used for any real profit, though. Also, I noticed that, if you flip the sprite upside-down, it looks like a goblin wearing a hood. :P

- Zeppelin: Real, real nice. The most useful, in my opinion. Also looked great, and flew like an eagle.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 am
Profile WWW

As epic as Godly descend goes, it kills your brain, if not, your cargo is never delivered. Which makes it a super weapon, not a delivery method as described. That is a no-go for me.

The rotorocket seems interesting, the heavy dropship ain't bad. I might choose between the two.

If the trading craft was an actual factory machine instead of a giant pixelated character(?) parody of something, I would actually keep it for permanent use. But I'm not going to vote for it because, well, crafts, not what I expected.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:15 am

Hmm, coming of god's anti grav should check delta time instead of making assumptions.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:16 am

Here's some of the ones that caught my eye.

CoG: Awesome. I only got as far as the Black hole before something happened, but still great.
There's only one man out there that I know could've done this. (My new Archnemisis >:( )
He also very nicely commented the Lua file so I can easily edit the values (Not that I need it Hmph.)

Apollo Lander: This would be another one of those crafts that wouldn't be considered a craft,
But it is more so than CoG. This one broke a lot (especially flying away when I wasn't watching),
but the weapons were cool.

Destructo-Sphere: Obvious copy of already released mod, but Auto-Firing/Aiming is cool.
Good for dueling with Apollocalipse and RotoRocket.

RotoRocket: Great for quickly wiping out the field while keeping the satisfaction level high.
Also great for dueling with other Rotos, Destructos, and Apollos. Me and my bro are going
to have fun with this one, but still not as cool as CoG.

Overall: CoG. I can't see using it often, but It made up for that the first time I used it with the
music and rain. It is like an order-able cutscene. Maybe I'll also use it to test my skills at dodging
meteors. The developers should add more things like this. *cough*
Close second was the RotoRocket, because it is actually a craft, and it's awesome fun.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:20 am
Profile WWW

Okay:

Aerial Flamethrower: I mean it was cool and all, but the lack of controllability and slowness took away from it.

Appollocalipse: Um.... the problem with this was that it really kept crashing and falling into the floor... but overall nice sprites, nice effects.

Boarding pod: Nothing special, really.

Godly Descent: Yeah.... I can't speak in words how amazing this was. One of the most epic mods ever to be in existence.

Orb: Um.....yeah.

Drop Rocket: Nothing new, just different sprite really.

Heavy Dropship: Nice effects. Nice mod overall. Really liked it.

RototRocket: Wow. This was really fun to play with. I don't know and practicality to it, but it was very fun. (Code is quite similar to the melon racing code)

Craft Dwarf: Idk what to say about it. :3

Zeppelin: Very well done. Really liked it.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:24 am

Also, I forgot to mention this, the heavy dropship seemed sort of plain, but unusual at the same time.
Nothing special about it though...

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:35 am
Profile WWW

I managed to fix the two bugs I noticed in coming of god:
1. Brain gibs due to pressure of gravity
2. On smaller maps, the script particle flys off during the black hole stage, preventing the end from happening.

Hope the creator does not mind(I can guess who made it, though).

Attachments:
Script.7z [3.06 KiB]
Downloaded 247 times
Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 am

Another thing forgot to mention :oops:

CoG is really nice, the rain effects when it hits the ground look really familiar, but beautiful.
When the meteors fell, they crashed into a orb and I saw it fragment into 3 pieces, I honestly did not expect that.
Really elegant.

I'll give the creator a cookie when I find out who made it.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 am
Profile WWW

I'm going through and grading the contest entries again.
I'll be taking in the following criteria, which I feel are important for the entries:
Spriting - Duh, the look of the sprites, presence of gibs, originality of work, shading etc.
Coding - Ini prowess, Sparkle Magic fingers, the cool stuff about it, originality, and functionality.
Mod Vs. Theme - How well the entry stuck to the theme of the contest. Derp.

Aerial Flamethrower:
Spriting - Rocket was nicely colored. Lack of any gibs though killed this field. If it's black I don't want to see white rocket parts flying out of it. Also lacked door animations for the exits left on the rocket. 5/10
Coding - Coding was a little odd. The mod had copies of all this Base.rte stuff that could have just been referenced and not recopied into the mod. Everyone has those files already, no need to have 2 of so many of them. Also, what could've been put into one ini file was split into nine different ones. Great for modding, bad for playing. 5/10
Mod Vs. Theme - Well, it was a craft I guess. Using a glorified rocket engine as a rotating flamethrower was cool, but a lack of flipping code made it auto gib when tilted too far. 7/10
SCORE: 17/30

Apocalypse:
Spriting - Sprites were nice, but looking at them, they look like they were ripped from another game. If they weren't, then this is a very high compliment. Gibs fit the craft. 7/10
Coding - Clean and very documented Sparkle Magic was nice. Unfortunately, despite the intention, my Apoc not only shot off into orbit in the middle of combat, it also dropped all its legs and its enormous guns around the map, which my actors could then pick up, which looked funny, but definitely not intended. 5/10
Mod Vs. Theme It was definitely a craft. A crazy one. Very cool, just wish it worked all together better. 8/10
SCORE: 20/30

ComingOfGod:
Spriting - The inverse color glitch thing was a very cool touch. The meteors all looked realistic and smoldered well. Very, very cool. 8/10
Coding - For reasons not needing reiterating, a perfect score will be marked in this field. 10/10
Mod Vs. Theme - It simply was not a craft. It was an orderable cutscene, which honestly didn't belong in this contest, despite being completely ♥♥♥♥ awesome. 5/10
SCORE: 23/30

Destrosphere:
Spriting - Sprite was alright. Glow was good (although recycled from his other mod). Shots looked awesome. 5/10
Coding - Although the concept of an Orb was also internally recycled, it functioned great, auto aiming and whatnot. Was a little overpoweered though.7/10
Mod Vs. Theme - Overall a good craft. Stuck to your own style so that's a plus. 7/10
SCORE 19/30

Drop Rocket:
Spriting - Vanilla sprites stuck right next to each other. Gibs were present, though also unoriginal. I'm only giving some points because they matched somewhat. 3/10
Coding - Not really anything here either. More base stuff. I didn't see anything worth noting here. 3/10
Mod Vs. Theme - It was at least a craft. Kind of clunky and really just got me flipped a lot. Needs much more work. 4/10
SCORE: 10/30

Heavy Armour Drop Ship:
Spriting Really looked odd against CC backgrounds and gameplay. It just stuck out wrong. At least it was original AND had proper gibs. Nothing else worth noting. 6/10
Coding - Nothing special here. Just base.rte worthy. 4/10
Mod Vs. Theme - A standard craft with some glowies. Works just fine for being a dropship. 7/10
SCORE: 17/30

RotoRocket:
Spriting - Smashed togther vanilla sprites. Plus for rotating animation in center though. 5/10
Coding - Honestly, when I tested this, I immediately thought "This could be the start of Cortex Command Katamari". Impractical, but concept opens up a lot. 7/10
Mod Vs. Theme - It was a craft kind of. I like how it just spins and squishes everything. Very fun. 7/10
SCORE: 19/30

Zepplin:
Spriting - Sprites were original, and I like the overall look. Very Red Alert inspired. Also, this thing does epic gibs. EVERYTHING is gibbed. Makes a nice awesome mess. It looks just like a zeppelin. 9/10
Coding - With some Sparkle Magic this thing could've become super cool, as mail said. The lack of it was disappointing, but I liked the rapid dropping bombs and the way the door functioned. Makes realistic Zeppelin raids possible! 6/10
Mod Vs. Theme - It was a unique craft. Probably the most combat useful if you can get it high enough. Needs a telescoping gun turret so you can see where you're about to aim the payload though. 7/10
SCORE: 22/30

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:40 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
ComingOfGod:
Spriting - The inverse color glitch thing was a very cool touch. The meteors all looked realistic and smoldered well. Very, very cool. 8/10
Coding - For reasons not needing reiterating, a perfect score will be marked in this field. 10/10
Mod Vs. Theme - It simply was not a craft. It was an orderable cutscene, which honestly didn't belong in this contest, despite being completely ♥♥♥♥ awesome. 5/10
SCORE: 23/30

Actually, there was non-functional code that would spawn the actor safe and sound at the end. Think of it as a way to ensure your actor reaches the ground. I fixed it though.
Also you missed tradingcrafts.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:47 am

Filmed the CoG for you folks:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/zalo10/videos/1/

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:59 am
Profile WWW

Your host has a broken seek ability.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:14 am

Holy crap, I should have posted my Stamper mod!
WHY GOD, WHY?
Would someone mind making the next theme improvised weapons, or crafts... again? ;_;

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:06 am
Profile WWW

I'm pretty sure you released that a while ago.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:13 am
Profile WWW

I should have made a new one, that didn't get damage from impacting terrain, and entered it into the contest. -_-;

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next