View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:40 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 158  Next
 DarkStorm Military Technologies - Updated 6/11/09 

Post Re: DarkStorm Military Technologies - Updated 11/22/08
If will be better when we get custom wounds(nano machine knfie).

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Banned

Quite.
I look forward to .lua for all the game!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:39 pm

it comes free, and it rapes up close.. i suppose a digger does too though.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:31 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
it comes free, and it rapes up close.. i suppose a digger does too though.

Excellent point here. For the shogun, I probably will implement some grappling stuff where they can use other actors (or parts of other actors) as melee weapons and projectiles. As I said with the shinobi, there'll probably be instant-death stuff. They might even be able to break necks with their bare hands. Hopefully that'll differentiate enough from diggers. In the case of the kitsune, its claws will double as effective diggers, and won't have any real special properties.

Now, the fun thing about programming all this is that I might have to try to differentiate between types of enemy units somehow. It'd be kinda silly if a shinobi could neck-break or backstab an MPAM, or even some smaller robots. Similarly, the shogun probably shouldn't be able to pick up and tear apart an MPAM or something like it. Perhaps I can simplify this by setting limitations based off of actor mass, gib impulse limit, joint strength, etc. And then we just hope that other mods are well balanced in that regard.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:07 pm
Profile YIM

Darlos9D wrote:
Now, the fun thing about programming all this is that I might have to try to differentiate between types of enemy units somehow. It'd be kinda silly if a shinobi could neck-break or backstab an MPAM, or even some smaller robots. Similarly, the shogun probably shouldn't be able to pick up and tear apart an MPAM or something like it. Perhaps I can simplify this by setting limitations based off of actor mass, gib impulse limit, joint strength, etc. And then we just hope that other mods are well balanced in that regard.

Haha, i was just about to point this out, how outrageously overpowered it would be if the Shogun could just half-nelson an MPAM to death or something. Your solution sounds very effective though, as one can usually expect a large actor to weigh more than a smaller one, and have stronger limbs and so on. Unless it's made of helium or something.
I should also add that your planned system sounds great.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

wrestling shoguns is a cool thing to picture..

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

If you decide to make the Oni, would it be able to rip an MPAM in half? Also, the shogun should rip its targets arms off before picking it up so it can't shoot at it while being held.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 pm

CandleJack wrote:
If you decide to make the Oni, would it be able to rip an MPAM in half? Also, the shogun should rip its targets arms off before picking it up so it can't shoot at it while being held.

I was just thinking of the Oni today. Yeah, it'd probably be capable of taking an MPAM apart. Since it'd basically be nothing more than a big angry monkey in armor, it might not even have enough sense to use guns properly, and might just be entirely a melee unit. Though something that can rip off an MPAM's leg and use it as a giant club isn't anything to take lightly, even for those armed with guns.

I'll work out the details of the grappling system once I actually start working on it. I don't want to overwhelm people with functionality, but I want there to be more functionality... you know?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:49 am
Profile YIM

i know exactly what you mean. i'll still be stealing bits of code, until i get a better grasp of lua.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 am
Profile WWW

Darlos9D wrote:
CandleJack wrote:

I was just thinking of the Oni today. Yeah, it'd probably be capable of taking an MPAM apart. Since it'd basically be nothing more than a big angry monkey in armor, it might not even have enough sense to use guns properly, and might just be entirely a melee unit. Though something that can rip off an MPAM's leg and use it as a giant club isn't anything to take lightly, even for those armed with guns.

I'll work out the details of the grappling system once I actually start working on it. I don't want to overwhelm people with functionality, but I want there to be more functionality... you know?

Sounds like King Kong.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:22 am

I'm aiming for the same thing Darlos, lots of features, but they all are nice and easy to use whenever you might need them. Except that I'm doing that right now with the stuff I have. I still dont have any experience in Lua since I dont see it coming too soon and I'll use my time to create the content and then optionally when Lua comes, I can add any extended things to it.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:59 am

numgun wrote:
I'm aiming for the same thing Darlos, lots of features, but they all are nice and easy to use whenever you might need them. Except that I'm doing that right now with the stuff I have. I still dont have any experience in Lua since I dont see it coming too soon and I'll use my time to create the content and then optionally when Lua comes, I can add any extended things to it.

The major thing I was thinking about actually was adding new key presses. If I have any kind of alt fire or secondary function for anything, it'll require some new keypress. Or, at the very least, a combination of existing keys. I don't want to overwhelm anybody with that sort of thing, but I might need to do it still.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm
Profile YIM

Darlos9D wrote:
numgun wrote:

The major thing I was thinking about actually was adding new key presses. If I have any kind of alt fire or secondary function for anything, it'll require some new keypress. Or, at the very least, a combination of existing keys. I don't want to overwhelm anybody with that sort of thing, but I might need to do it still.

My Joypad has 12 good completely unused buttons so I say go ahead.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:58 pm
Profile WWW

Bleh, I've played alot of FPS games and mods for said games that add a million extra buttons to use (Secondary mode, Special Mode, Burst/Auto, Reload, Throw Weapon and special combos and so on.), but especially when they feel like natural/comfy to use them and you learn their meaning and the extra power they give to you, you'll learn those quickly.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Well, with that, I guess I won't worry about the complexity until complaints arise.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:15 am
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 158  Next