View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Assualt Drone 

Post Assualt Drone
Those of you in DST may have seen this before.....I've decided that I may as well release it now.
Essentially, it's a small autonomous dropship with a turret attached. It's best used to provide backup for a small group of soldiers, damaging enemy troops and repelling enemy craft. Alternately, it's small enough to fit in tunnels, so it can be used for base attack and defence.
Attachment:
TestDump846.bmp

The onboard turret has a slightly antiquated targeting system, as the foremost robotics engineers in the universe were loathe to share their dark arts with "those hovering wankers". As a result "hot" and "cold" spots have developed, where the assualt drone will either unleash a disproportionate response, or ignore the enemy completely. The hotspots are approximately 45 degrees from the horizontal to the right, and 15 degrees from the horizontal to the left. The major cold spot is directly below the craft. I'm telling you this because I like you.
Attachment:
TestDump840.bmp

Attachment:
Assualt Drone.rte.rar

This is one of my more polished mods, full of attachments, bleeps and whistles. Constructive criticism and feedback is always appreciated.

There is one bug which I haven't been able to fix. Occasionally, if the body of the dropship is between an enemy and the turret, it will shoot itself. This can be avoided by careful piloting.

And BTW, it has deforming sprites.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
Post Re: Assualt Drone
Looks cool, why does it look like the hip of the ACRocket from base.rte though? Or is that just me?

Anywho, I definitely like this, can't have enough hovering assault units. Pretty unique, I know it's not the only one, but still pretty unique.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:59 pm

ppiksmada wrote:
Looks cool, why does it look like the hip of the ACRocket from base.rte though? Or is that just me?

Anywho, I definitely like this, can't have enough hovering assault units. Pretty unique, I know it's not the only one, but still pretty unique.

It's just you. :)

And actually it is unique in that it hovers properly. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Other hovering units have invisible legs. This is an actual dropship. It flies.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:03 pm

Nice! I dl'ed it.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Well the reason I say that blip is because Numgun has that ACDropship that somewhat serves the same role.

I like yours though, hopefully when the next build comes out you can get rid of the "auto return" feature or modify it to increase its AI capabilities. Speculation. You got my download.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:19 pm

What dropship of numguns?

nvrmind..I'll go look for it. In the meantime, back on topic.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:20 pm

The AAL digger thing. It's a dropship with a ton of AEmitters that throw out the, digger, particle, thingeys, thing.

I'm just saying the concept ain't brand stinking new, but I'd still like to see more of these things from ya.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:24 pm

The sprite looks very nice. Downloaded, soon to be tested and reviewed.

EDIT: Just tested it, and it's really nice. Especially the automatic cannon you put on it. It flies around very well, too. Not very powerful, but still, a good stealth unit that can defend itself, AND salvage stuff. I really like how you made it a craft. Now I can fill it up with devices found laying around and go back to the space station, making me gain gold. A great new way of making profit! Also, it is very good at ramming units. You can use it to punch Dummies' faces off, and it's really fun!

The sprites are cool as well, and the amount of life/resistant fits well. Nice sounds.

Class job! :D

Last edited by Brainwashed on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Holy ♥♥♥♥, I just tested this thing on the tutorial campaign, and it kicks a lot of ass. Using several of these things at once against the dreadnaughts was amusing and effective. I was even able to properly fly it into the tutorial bunker, through the firing range doors, and blast away the enemy dummy in there, then fly back out with relative ease. This thing flies VERY effectively, its not overpowered, and its just plain fun to use.

You rock for making this thing so well. I hope this thing is expanded upon by yourself and others for the good of the community, its just so clean and nice. And you used some nice sounds for it too. A+ work here. This is the most polished and effective flying turret mod yet.

Quick note: I just tested it some more on the crossfire stage using the toybox activities. This thing rapes enemy dropships and ground troops. Its so fast and easy to fly that you can just concentrate on dodging enemy fire the whole time while it just fires automatically below and next to it. And it quickly takes out drop ship thrusters and seriously thrashes drop rockets. Ground troops scramble to aim and shoot at me and I just fly around like tinkerbell, laughing as they die by my automatic fire. This just made Cortex Command a lot more fun. You've really done a good job, and I'm not usually this enthusiastic about improved mod concepts unless it really amazes me, just look at my abismal post count. This is so simple yet so perfect.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:45 pm

It's a lot like a dropship I made once, tiny with huge ramming power, and lots of fun.
This one hovers much more stably though.
And of course has a turret; nice job on that.
I think the idea's been discussed, but I figured emitting actors like that would lag insanely.

It takes impacts pretty hard though, so it doesn't last too long when you're ramming.
And why is it so heavy? I'd think a couple hundred KGs would be plenty.

Some grenade-size bombs for it would also be cool.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 pm

:shock: That...is...AWSOME!!! I've tryed, and it beats the crap out of dummies. good job. And the effects are very nice.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Something falls off every time I order it. The engine also stops after I reach a certain speed.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 pm

The thing falling off is just a bug relating to the emitter. I'll try to deal with that shortly. Also, it crashes if you exceed the stable velocity threshold - like any other dropship. It's lower for this one to reflect the fact that it is smaller and less stable than a great big hulking thing.

I might extend this and make a series of small craft. Ideas I have at the moment include a salvage craft, a medical craft, a transformer...

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Transformer = gibbing into an actor?

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:42 pm
Profile WWW

blipflip wrote:
a medical craft

One of those little crafts with an emitter that releases healing particles on it?

Also, how about a brain craft? It would be easier to get awaywhen your brain is attacked, that way :P

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next