View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Licensing, Your Mod, and You! 

Post Re: Licensing, Your Mod, and You!
First of all, why is this in mod releases, it sure doesn't look like a release. In fact, it has no mod, WIP or otherwise.
Second, how can you possibly license a mod? If you make a mod, and someone thinks it is fudge awesome, and they decide to make one exactly like yours, do you know what happens? Nothing! You can not own ideas, ideas are free game for every person, and, since there is only one way to make a mod do a specific thing(in CC), a mod is simply an idea.

Now don't get me wrong, if you copy someone's idea you should give credit. But unless you are actually copying the file that they actually made, you are simply using an idea. Not breaking any licenses or copyrights.

If, for example, you think Tetris is a fudge awesome game, and you decide to make an exact copy of it. So long as you don't use the name Tetris, there is not a thing in the world to stop you(unless of course you cant program).

Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 am

Its in mod releases because its about MODDING. Anyone with a shred of common sense could figure that out.

Mon May 04, 2009 2:10 am

Hi, my name is Steve, and I am under the impression that sounds and sprites do not exist. Nor did I actually read the topic, considering the OP addressed your point.

Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 am
Profile WWW

Hi Steve, I'm sorry you dont realize that sounds and sprites exist, and that you didn't read the OP. I on the other hand did and I came to the conclussion that many of the sounds used would be open source. The other thing that I see alot is that the mod didn't actually make the sprites, but instead simply changed some colors.

I am under the impression that licensing is overkill for what is currently capable of being produced. When scripting comes along and there is a greater ability to change things, then maybe licensing would be needed. If everyone attempted to license "their" work then there is going to be alot of conflicts, mods currently have so much in common that it is hardly worth the effort.

Also, it is apparently alright to break subforum rules.

Last edited by A.K.A.Steve on Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon May 04, 2009 2:06 pm

A.K.A.Steve wrote:
Hi Steve, I'm sorry you dont realize that sounds and sprites exist, and that you didn't read the OP. I on the other hand did and I came to the conclussion that many of the sounds used would be open source. The other thing that I see alot is that the mod didn't actually make the sprites, but instead simply changed some colors.

:x This is why I hate noobs.

Yeah. Have you ever even SEEN a decent mod!? AAL, DSTech, Pelian Army... The list goes on. They all have original sprites. No recolors. You must have been looking at Unitech. (which, BTW is ♥♥♥♥ epic, I'm not saying it's bad, only that you have a few recolors.)

Stop being a ♥♥♥♥♥ and think before you post.

Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 pm

I am in no way being a ♥♥♥♥♥. I gave my opinion, asked a question, and was immediately accosted by you.

Yes, there have been some decent mods. So far the only thing I have said is that I don't think licensing is a good idea, but you have been putting words in my mouth and insulting me. I asked why this is in mod releases because it clearly breaks the sub forum rules, instead of getting a decent answer I get accused of having no sense, Instead of having an explanation, Ophanim attempts to mock, when I mock back and try to explain myself, we are back at square one. There is no reason to jump to conclusions or read half the OP and then insult a person.

I can understand a desire for not wanting someone else to take credit for your work, but what I don't understand is why legal steps are needed, I have seen very little theft here on CC. I am also sick and tired of people demanding that they get credit for "their" idea. It just isn't right to claim an idea as yours. With modding so very limited pre-B3 many of the ideas are very similar, the only difference being that the firing rate is slower/faster or the bullets are heavier. When you start adding licenses then arguments about who made what are going to start.

If someone makes a sprite, and you think its great, and you decide to make one as close as possible without ever copying from the original file. Who owns it? Does the person who made your inspiration own the sprite, or does the person who created the new one own it?
Arguments are bound to arise when licenses get involved, that is why I hate them so.

Mon May 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Modding is much more potent than changing variables. See zalo's work.

But, take modder X.

Modder X makes awesome mod X.
Modder X dies.

Modder Y wants to make variation of Mod X, so he can make his paid(it will happen) mod Y.

Unfortunately, modder X is dead, and ALL WORKS IN THE US ARE AUTOMATICALLY COPYRIGHTED.

Thanks to the RIAA/MPAA corrupting politicians so they can own their artist's works until they are no longer profitable, and even then they refuse to surrender rights in case of a retro trend, Mod X won't be released into the public domain until whoever got the legal rights to his mod surrenders their rights(don't think his family will care about mod X), or about 105 years.

Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 am

Wow, look, about half of the stickies in the Mod Releases section ARE AGAINST THE RULES!
INCLUDING THE BLOODY RULES THREAD ITSELF
-_-"
It's a tool useful for mod releases. Therefore it was stickied by a moderator or administrator.

Furthermore, the licence suggested would only require credit on utterly copied code, not the general idea of the code. Or else we'd have to credit some of the older modders in half the mods on the forum. -_-"

Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 am
Profile WWW

mail2345 wrote:
Modding is much more potent than changing variables.

Only with Lua. Zalo's stuff is just as much variable changing as anyone else's.

When people can make new variables, then people should worry.

Paid mods will (hopefully) never exist for CC.

Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Control wrote:
Paid mods will (hopefully) never exist for CC.

Hmmmm...... :evil:

Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Swear to god, Numgun, if you pull a Jago I will go down to Europe and eat your ♥♥♥♥ heart.

Wed May 06, 2009 1:33 am

What I meant by modding limited to variable changing was that it's not just making respirties and making guns spew more/less bullets.

Wed May 06, 2009 2:23 am

Indeed, a good sprite has alot of effort put into it. If possible, I'd prefer to protect said effort from someone else claiming that they did it, etc.

Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 am
Profile WWW

Grif wrote:
Swear to god, Numgun, if you pull a Jago I will go down to Europe and eat your ♥♥♥♥ heart.

I'll drive. Especially if he tries to pull it with stuff on the same scale as what he makes now.

Sun May 24, 2009 3:16 am
Banned

While I laud Tucker for this awesome work, it might just be easier to put most of this in the public domain. If you don't mind people poking at your code, it is worth while to attach a notice of public release in your mod's index and the forum post.

There are pros and cons to this, but if you're not worried about derivative licenses and what not, its probably easier to just PD it.

Just a though. A+ to Tucker for the FOSS plug. You did your homework. That's a pretty decent basis for a paper on Creative Commons. Save that for a future homework assignment ;)

Sun May 24, 2009 5:22 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next