View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Experimental Dummy Vehicles (2013-01-03: R12) 

Post Re: Experimental Dummy Vehicles (2009-10-08: now two missions)
Wow. The armoured car is just plain awesome. However, the missions, especially armoured assault, are kind of easy. I appreciate the effort that went into coding them, but they are not the best as far as gameplay goes.

Things you could improve (about the missions)
- In Armoured Assault
— You could have the room containing the brain closed, so you have to get through the gauntlet of guards in order to get in.
— You could make the robots advance when the armoured car lands, so that you can't just sit there and destroy their defences without resistance.
- In Overrun
— I don't think you need many reinforcements, as the Ronin guards when cleverly positioned can get you very far.
— The armoured cars could advance right away after landing to add more of a challenge.

Hope these suggestions aren't too hard to implement; as I said, they're just suggestions. :wink:

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Perhaps the armored car should land on something harder than dirt, they keep eating themselves into a hole when I kill them slowly enough. The immediate advancing thing would be nice too, they don't pose too much of a threat as it is.
However, I totally love everything in here, and the new sprites are pretty great.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:46 pm

I want to make suggestions too the missions, even though they are extras.

I think in armor assault, the bridge should blow when the tanks is actually on it, losing it. Then the player is assigned the dummy gunship to continue the mission.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:52 pm

I love the missions for this, especially Overrun. I actually have trouble fighting the car, but then again I don't fight it from the bunker gun-hole much. The randomized weapons work out really well and the placement of the actors allows the AI to truly help you fight the dummies back, at least until one of them flies past you. The ONLY thing I would add is maybe a few medical drones. Mostly because you don't make enough money during the fighting to order enough troops if your SAM goes down.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Plenty of good suggestions here, I just wish I had the time to implement them all.

The Overrun mission is divided in to several phases, where the enemy has slightly different behavior in each phase. If you want to fight armored cars earlier, and don't mind tinkering a little, you can open up the code (EDV.rte/Scenes/Overrun.lua) and look for the following line in the StartActivity function:
Code:
self.PhaseGold = {800, 170, 3000, 9000, 500, 4000, 500}
This is the amount of gold the AI is allowed to spend each phase. By lowering the first and the third value the armored cars will be dropped sooner, and if you increase the fourth value the AI will afford to drop more armored cars. The sixth value decides how much gold the AI can spend on assaulting the brain bunker.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:23 pm

This mission is probably one of my favorite missions, I've been tweaking the gold the AI uses to make it more interesting.
Also, by dropping the tank a little closer I note that it gets a bearing on my soldiers and seems to attack faster, not spin around like a nut.
This is quite a bit harder to fight though, because in this case the tank has the surprise advantage, and purely AI controlled actors always seem to fail at killing them.

Also, I think a fun addition to the assault would be a suicide bomber dropship carrying explosives that tries to ram the base early on, perhaps before the tanks appear. I tried to spawn this in lua, but it's a liiiiiitle too complicated for me.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 pm

I love this, but the drop crate for the assault tank should not "Gib" I am sure with Lua you could make it Gib into a platform for the tank to drive off of so it does not get stuck eating the ground.( and the concrete sprayer is lame give it something like a flame thrower! At least make the sprayer work better by spraying more and a little on the ground under the front wheel.)

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

I also find the concrete sprayer pretty inefficient.

gtaiiilc wrote:
flame thrower

I support this.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I love this mod! The gunship is just wonderful, but i noticed that the right laser sometimes (read: always) gibs without reason.

It's too easy to destroy the brains in Armor Assault. Make it harder.

I think the Overrun is a bit too easy. I had a bug in it, the attack stalled, i still had the first outpost, when a single NINJADUMMY destroyed my SAM. The the attack started again. Is it supposed to be so?

Oh, and pics about crazy and unlucky dummies:
Attachment:
File comment: Weird.
ScreenDump003.bmp
ScreenDump003.bmp [ 900.05 KiB | Viewed 5036 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Unlucky.
ScreenDump004.bmp
ScreenDump004.bmp [ 900.05 KiB | Viewed 5036 times ]

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah, I think its ormal, I had a squad of dummies just come out and destroy my SAMs. I think you have to kill them before that if you want to keep the SAMs.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Natti wrote:
I love this mod! The gunship is just wonderful, but i noticed that the right laser sometimes (read: always) gibs without reason.

It's too easy to destroy the brains in Armor Assault. Make it harder.

I think the Overrun is a bit too easy. I had a bug in it, the attack stalled, i still had the first outpost, when a single NINJADUMMY destroyed my SAM. The the attack started again. Is it supposed to be so?

I will look in to the laser bug. Thanks for reporting it.

Agree with you about Armor Assault. It was my first fully scripted mission and did not turn out very good at all. The best solution would probably be to scrap it and create something from scratch using the same concept. But making missions is extremely time consuming and I'm already spending too much time working on my next mod.

About Overrun: The mission was meant to be difficult, and I thought it was. So I guess I'm not very good at this game, but the behavior you describe is intended. If you stop the dummies from destroying the SAM they will give up, but if you fail to stop them they are willing to add mode gold to their reinforcement pool. The "NINJADUMMY" is actually a custom actor with some extra (hacky) AI to make it fly to the sniper tower and take out the SAM from there. The results varies but at least it was fun to make.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:55 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Natti wrote:
Blaablaablaa

I will look in to the laser bug. Thanks for reporting it.

Agree with you about Armor Assault. It was my first fully scripted mission and did not turn out very good at all. The best solution would probably be to scrap it and create something from scratch using the same concept. But making missions is extremely time consuming and I'm already spending too much time working on my next mod.

About Overrun: The mission was meant to be difficult, and I thought it was. So I guess I'm not very good at this game, but the behavior you describe is intended. If you stop the dummies from destroying the SAM they will give up, but if you fail to stop them they are willing to add mode gold to their reinforcement pool. The "NINJADUMMY" is actually a custom actor with some extra (hacky) AI to make it fly to the sniper tower and take out the SAM from there. The results varies but at least it was fun to make.

What, next mod? What it is going to be?

I thought it was just a normal dummy! It actually tried to land on the sniping tower, but he didn't succeed. In fact, he crash-landed to the SAM destroying it.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:10 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Natti wrote:

More vehicles. I got some help with the sprites, so this time the first release won't look like crap.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:15 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Natti wrote:

More vehicles. I got some help with the sprites, so this time the first release won't look like crap.

We are eagerly waiting. Hurry up!

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:51 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

I just registered to tell you this.
I feel that that mission was a master piece, and is easily the one i've played the most. It was simple, yet elegant. To say it did not turn out good at all is a complete lie. It was easily the mission I played the most.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next