View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Rifts- higher dimensional panic rooms 

Post Re: Rifts- higher dimensional panic rooms
got my d/l

if only for the fact that I play to horribly dismember pixels. and this is what i needed to prevent terrain-rape (well...fast terrain rape)

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:31 am
Loose Canon

wiffles wrote:
put a huge pack of mods up

lafe wrote:
PacOCrap it is! I've got enough unrealesed stuff to do it.

Wiffles, you have released an enitity of unrelenting, incomparable evil onto the world.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

Now that I've actually tested it, it's pretty neat. I like how it draws things in vertically, so I can stick one in a hallway and not clog up space.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Well Hyperkultra, how do you think I keep myself amused in Saskatchewan, apart from playing Combat arms with drunks?

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:05 pm

YGMDL. People who are screaming about it: you may not like this mod but being sarcastic and obnoxious about it isn't helping Lafe or the other people in the thread who are trying to give C&C. Well, some things that could be expanded upon: maybe a nicer effect when you disappear (i.e. something like the laser when you die in SSB). Also it would be cool if only actors holding a keycard (probably a lua-hacked TDExplosive) could get in to the rift.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Probably should have gone in mod dump, but while I'm here...

OK idea and simply executed but not much effort to laud. It's like taking a dump on a canvas board and claiming you have made abstract art- while true, not anything overly impressive. As Grif pointed out, you changed/added very few lines of code, so I can't really go "GRAET A++ CROBO-QUALITY DOOD" but at the same time, you did it right.

EXECUTION: 10 out of 10.
DIFFICULTY: 1 out of 10.
OVERALL: 5.5 out of 10.
QUALITY GRADE: Lafetastic.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 am

How is difficulty a factor? If I made a durr hurr terrain rape 9999 mass 9999 sharpness sniper rifle without using my arms it wouldn't make the mod better than if I had used my arms.

Come on, guys. If this was zalo's you'd be all over it and this would have 20 pages.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:41 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

it is not that it is a mod by lafe

it is that it is an utterly incomprehensibly indeed comically easy mod to make

now, with effects, with polish, with some benefit to it beside a pinned, invisible crate this could go somewhere, and for what it is, yes, it's exactly what it says on the tin

that does not mean it deserves praise, nor does it deserve deletion

it is a simple mod, yes
it is too simple of a mod. that said, it is what it is and I don't really have anything to complain about

nor have I uttered a single harsh word in this thread

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:30 am

Contrary wrote:
How is difficulty a factor? If I made a durr hurr terrain rape 9999 mass 9999 sharpness sniper rifle without using my arms it wouldn't make the mod better than if I had used my arms.

You misunderstood derp. You'd have still made a durr hurr terrain rape 9999 mass 9999 sharpness sniper rifle regardless of HOW you made it. Would it be easier to make that or to make a polished, balanced, beautifully sprited weapon with wonderful, orgasmic effects? It's how hard the mod is to make. This mod changed/added less than a dozen lines of code to the dummy Drop Crate, something anyone could do in under five minutes.

It works perfect but it wasn't that hard to do, why praise it? It's like giving someone praise for making a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich, a relatively easy task. No, good sir, the praise comes in when they've made the sandwich by using bread with 18 seasoned spices, lightly toasted and covered in the world's most exotic jelly and high-quality peanut butter with a bit of Branston pickle thrown in.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:14 pm
Loose Canon

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Contrary wrote:

You misunderstood derp. You'd have still made a durr hurr terrain rape 9999 mass 9999 sharpness sniper rifle regardless of HOW you made it. Would it be easier to make that or to make a polished, balanced, beautifully sprited weapon with wonderful, orgasmic effects? It's how hard the mod is to make. This mod changed/added less than a dozen lines of code to the dummy Drop Crate, something anyone could do in under five minutes.

It works perfect but it wasn't that hard to do, why praise it? It's like giving someone praise for making a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich, a relatively easy task. No, good sir, the praise comes in when they've made the sandwich by using bread with 18 seasoned spices, lightly toasted and covered in the world's most exotic jelly and high-quality peanut butter with a bit of Branston pickle thrown in.

And a paper umbrella for flair. All classy/overpriced drinks/foods have SOMETHING on a toothpick or other small wooden rod stuck into them.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

Making a PB & J sandwich would be amazing if you were the first one. It's called inventing, bro. It's usually regarded as being pretty cool.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 am

The innovation of this escapes me :| It's not really that different from a regular pinned vanilla-content drop crate you can place in BYOB mode save for the fact that it's incredibly small.

Also innovation tends to be a lot cooler when the invention is fun to use or very intricate/practical. This is more or less a mouse hole and with no effects at all (that I could see)- it kind of forces you to use your imagination to picture this 'other-dimensional rift'... do not want. If I wanted imagination in my CC gameplay I would never download a mod. In fact, I probably wouldn't even get past the main menu because I'd be imagining I was playing a brand new mission I had just made by farting on my keyboard.

Oh and 'invisibility' with craft or actors (where invisibility refers to being undetectable to enemies) isn't anything new either. If you would like to call this innovative, it's innovative in one of the smallest and most specific scales possible. Nothing very groundbreaking.

This isn't like the first PB&J sandwich ever made, it's like the first PB&J sandwich ever made with a pinch of cinnamon sprinkled on top. Interesting but not good enough to be really impressive... definitely a 'minor mod'.

However it would be pretty cool if lafe was able to add in some great visual effects and more complex code.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 am

Maybe some more effects but its perfectly good as it is.
It does annoy me that anybody and their grandmother could have made this mod. >_>

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:08 am
Profile WWW

It seems to me that lafe deserves at least a semblance of respect for doing something not yet done, regardless of how easy it was.
Basically, if it is so easy that anyone could do it, than you either did not think of it, or are too lazy.
It is kinda laughable that it's still got the crate descriptor.
Now make it ludicrously glow-tastic.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:14 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

But the only thing that "hadn't been done" was making it invisible.

He actually didn't add anything, he simply omitted something.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next