View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Phobias - Any stories? 

Post Re: Phobias - Any stories?

I have a bad feeling of looking for huge things thinking you're way too smaller from them...

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:21 pm
Loose Canon

Snakes, Spiders, and heights. Oh my.
Heights presented itself rather crappily in I think 6th grade. We took a field trip to (coincidence) my future high school to clamber around on the ropes course there, basically a bunch of tall and huge wooden structures for people to climb while having safety ropes attached. Everyone got the choice of going on or not, and I chose not to. At the last moment though, I decided to try it, and about eh I don't know 10 or 12 feet up, I looked down, practically shat myself, and refused to go higher. I then climbed back down, removed the harness, and enjoyed solid ground.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:48 pm
Profile WWW

Cockroaches, I hate those little buggers.
When they're on the fricken wall i have to move elsewhere.
Yeah i know i'm in Canada but, I go to my country of origin, Philippine, a whole lot, full of bugs.
I don't mind ants, grasshoppers, spiders, millipedes, or the occasional lizard.

And, I have a fear for Godforsaken thrill rides.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:53 pm
Loose Canon

dragonxp wrote:

I forget about that one, thanks for reminding me. I think my fear of rides stems from riding Magic Mountain, under the impression that it was going to be FUN, when I was probably younger than 5.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

Hyperkultra wrote:
dragonxp wrote:

I forget about that one, thanks for reminding me. I think my fear of rides stems from riding Magic Mountain, under the impression that it was going to be FUN, when I was probably younger than 5.

If you have seen West Ed's indoor amusement park, then you know which roller coaster i mean.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:01 pm

I have a mild fear of the 'unknown/unfamiliar', as I assume most people have. My mild fear of heights rests in that zone. If I stand at the edge of a cliff, I'm a little scared, but it fades if I eat a picnic up there or observe it for a long enough time. If I'm in control (eg: flying an airplane [yes I'm a pilot]) there's no fear.

Actual fears:

- Anything that flies and can sting. I've been stung plenty of times and it's not all that bad; I like the endorphin rush. So I acknowledge it's a completely retarded fear to have.
- Needles. I have to look away from the screen when people get needles in movies; particularly bad if the needle is larger or placed in a more dramatic spot (NEEDLES IN TEH EYES). Funnily enough, I don't mind shots. But I do hate IVs and dentistry.
- Dentists. I don't know how anyone can trust a dude that gets paid the more cavities you get. Makes you paranoid about the whole toothpaste industry, too. One dentist told me I needed a new filling every 6 months. Switched dentists and he said "you're so healthy you only need to come in once a year for a checkup." ♥♥♥holes, the lot of them.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Wait, hen i meant i can stand spiders, I meant one at a time.

One time, my cousin found this 'squish ball' and he was kicking it around.
Then he kicked it so hard, the thing split open and hundreds of tiny spiders came out.
He and me fricken was scared so bad, I started running, but some of the spiders landed on his leg so he was like, peeing his pants whilst running to the nearest hose to wash them off.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 pm

I can't stand irregularly spaced holes. NOt irregularily spaced objects, just holes. But that's not really a phobia.
Also: Just because you have an abnormally strong dislike of something doesn't make it a phobia. A phobia has to be a debilitating, uncontrollable fear that has no basis in reality.
Not a phobia: really hate the thought of of looking at a dead person
Phobia: Has difficulty functioning in normal society due to fear that the next room one enters may, possibly, contain a dead body.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Loose Canon

Dr. Evil wrote:
Phobia: Has difficulty functioning in normal society due to fear that the next room one enters may, possibly, contain a dead body.

Well technically, because there are millions of bacteria EVERYWHERE, some have to be dying. So most often there are dead bodies in rooms that you enter, just really tiny ones.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:47 pm
Profile WWW

whitty wrote:
and the fear of not being able to help the people I love.

That's my worst, really keeps me awake at night sometimes, the thougth that they will be harmed in a way and that I couldn't do a thing.

Falcon X wrote:
-Fear of large indoor areas - I can't explain this one rationally, but a big empty room will really bother me. I sometimes have nightmarish dreams of my room being really big and me being really really small.

Another one that kept me up at night, seems to have passed now, probably has something to do with my current knowledge of buildings being build to span massive lengths.

My other fear will be the fear of falling, not hights just falling of things, which gives me unsteady footing and increases the fear. Planes also scare me, strange for someone whose father works on a plane and who spent atleast a week in a plane.(total hours.)

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm

I dont know what its called, but im really terrified anything suspended in the air that im on , like a bridge,im afraid it will break. Like stuff on playgrounds or play houses, im fine with heights but im scared to death of stuff that even has the smallest possibility it will break under my feet

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:09 am

rjhw1 wrote:
I dont know what its called, but im really terrified anything suspended in the air that im on , like a bridge,im afraid it will break. Like stuff on playgrounds or play houses, im fine with heights but im scared to death of stuff that even has the smallest possibility it will break under my feet

My point exactly, the chance small as it can be, that you'll be hurt because the thing you're on will break/fall/etc.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:59 am

I get kind of freaked around large tubes, especially if they're chrome and have water in them.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I have a large fear of hights.
I mean big fear i remember when i was trying to climb one of those rock walls and i got up like
4 feet in the air and i froze.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Makes me cringe, looking down the barrel of a gun just doesn't have a psychological effect like this.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next