View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Phobias - Any stories? 

Post Re: Phobias - Any stories?
I'm scared of casual social interactions, I feel like any time I engage in "small talk" with a person I'm boring them to death.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Oh, no, Cadwaller, that's not really a phobia.

You actually are boring them to death.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:11 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You're just a bit TOO aware.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Miles, in your latest post you say you have had a recurring nightmare that happens whenever you go to sleep; however, here is an excerpt from your FIRST post: Somniphobia – fear of sleep. I don't dream, So what's the difference between sleep and death. to me there isn't one, and the result is I'm almost an insomniac. I'm afraid I'm going to try to go to sleep and i'll stop breathing, or my heart will stop, or I'll stop having brain function and never wake up (coma).
So, uh, I'm going to assume your life is less ♥♥♥♥ up than you lead on, sorry if it is, but those two statements are contradictory...you can't fear sleep due to never dreaming, then go on to talk about a recurring dream.

As for contributing to the topic? Well, uh, hmmm...dammit, I have no interesting phobias. WAIT! I'm scared shitless of large, wild animals, and I live in Wisconsin, so there are tons of bears here. So there...what else. Uh...I hate it when people pull knives on me or hold guns at me; even if it's not loaded, or it's just like an Airsoft gun or a butter knife, I still get really freaked out then try to pull a knife on THEM. Oh, and I'm afraid of tubular waterslides because I'm paranoid I'll fly out when it's only a semicircle, then I'll fall to my death...and this isn't really a phobia, but every time I'm in a situation in which I could die, then I make a detailed mental picture of what COULD happen.

EDIT: And to those who speak of when he does eventually sleep, and how it would be restless...well, if he's having ANY kind of dream, it isn't akin to death. And it isn't that he has these dreams but doesn't know of it; he clearly KNOWS he's had the dreams. Otherwise, he couldn't reflect upon them here.

Last edited by Ociamarru on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:41 pm
Loose Canon

If he's that afraid of sleeping, then I would imagine it wouldn't be the most sound sleep when he eventually DOES fall asleep.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

I have a ridiculous crippling fear of the dark. Like...completely. Moving scares me, and I just wanna cover my head and fall asleep, but can't, because something bad WILL happen if I do. The thing always varies, depending on whatever I did that day, it could be anything. Mainly movie monsters, though. Even monsters from movies that weren't scary terrify me once it gets dark.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Absolutely hate insects. all kinds, eugh...

anything that flutters around my head rapidly enough that i cant track them gives me the shivers.

Butterflies, moths, birds...

btw i live in BC canada so there's lots of fun things for me to be scared shitless about.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm
Profile WWW

Ociamarru wrote:
Miles, in your latest post you say you have had a recurring nightmare that happens whenever you go to sleep; however, here is an excerpt from your FIRST post: Somniphobia – fear of sleep. I don't dream, So what's the difference between sleep and death. to me there isn't one, and the result is I'm almost an insomniac. I'm afraid I'm going to try to go to sleep and i'll stop breathing, or my heart will stop, or I'll stop having brain function and never wake up (coma).
So, uh, I'm going to assume your life is less ♥♥♥♥ up than you lead on, sorry if it is, but those two statements are contradictory...you can't fear sleep due to never dreaming, then go on to talk about a recurring dream.

Just because i'm afraid of falling asleep, doesn't mean I don't get so tired that I still pass out. Some nights I lay around for hours half asleep, and every time I start to fall asleep, It scares the hell out of me because I can't breath right and I panic, and wake back up, jolted awake with adrenaline. Other nights, I'm already so tired that I hit the pillow and black out, waking up 9 hours later.

but more often then not I don't get enough sleep.

When I said I don't dream, what I meant was "I don't dream, except on the occasions that I have an absolutely horrific and jarring nightmare". These nightmares usually happen when I'm so tired that I just black out, when i'm sick, when theres some form of 'sleep aid' be it pills, or its raining (white noise), Or when I have someone to sleep with. In those situations I tent do fall asleep 'normally'. Then I dream, and when I dream, its always one of these nightmares. usually the one involving the teeth falling out.

It's like my balistaphobia, I'm afraid of bullets, but not guns. I can hold a loaded gun, and shoot at targets, as long as I don't have to handle the actual bullets themselves. I honestly don't have that much of a ♥♥♥♥ up life, as much as I have sleep problems, and odd phobias.

I have had those dreams, and do have trouble sleeping, and I am squeamish about bullets, they make my skin crawl. but other than that, I have a fairly normal life. anyway... yeah... back to... whatever I was doing.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

Fear of police cars being right behind your car when you are obviously being a good citizen doing no suspicious or illegal activities.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 am

That film "The Box" actually reminded me of one of mine- I don't know how I could put this, but I guess it's basically fear of bio-chemical weaponry. I'm not exactly afraid that someone's going to kill me with anthrax or some deadly poison, I just get unsettled when I see stuff like radiation or biohazard warnings. Just the feeling that something might be silently killing your body without you even feeling it until it's too late.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:06 am

whitty wrote:
Fear of police cars being right behind your car when you are obviously being a good citizen doing no suspicious or illegal activities.
This.
Fear of being accused of something even though you don't think you did anything. Most annoying thing ever.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 am
Profile WWW

Dude, 411, that happens to me all the time. Like, once, in Archery during Phy. Ed, I missed someone by an inch or so while they were picking up arrows, and my gym teacher got super pissed; I got sent to the office, had to wait for like an hour...then, my assistant principle looked at me all serious, and said...
"You have an overdue library book."

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 am

411570N3 wrote:
whitty wrote:
This.
Fear of being accused of something even though you don't think you did anything. Most annoying thing ever.

Put a "not" after the second "being", take away the "no", and change "or" to "and".

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:16 am

Why did you quote the second part? That was quite a puzzle.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Ragdollmaster wrote:
That film "The Box" actually reminded me of one of mine- I don't know how I could put this, but I guess it's basically fear of bio-chemical weaponry. I'm not exactly afraid that someone's going to kill me with anthrax or some deadly poison, I just get unsettled when I see stuff like radiation or biohazard warnings. Just the feeling that something might be silently killing your body without you even feeling it until it's too late.

That's called aging.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next