View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Phobias - Any stories? 

Post Phobias - Any stories?
Just wondering if you guys had any phobias, and if so any anecdotes, if/how they impede you etc?
Maybe you've been a witness to a phobia,or know someone with a phobia closely?

Don't send me to Wikpedia.org, i only asked because i would like your personal accounts :)

So share your experiences!

Fri May 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Post Re: Phobias - Any stories?
Well, i suffer from a mild phobia of heights, spiders as well as getting bitten or stung by insects. They don't exactly impede my life, but they do lead to several uncomfortable situations.

For example, when we were touring around inside some power plant, we were several stories up, and the floor we walked on could be seen through, all the way to the bottom floor. And believe me, seeing a 10-20 meter fall right below your feet is one of the last things you want to see if you're afraid of heights. It's not like i panicked and curled up on the floor, but just taking a step was notably hard.

Another example would be that while i was out taking a dump, a large spider suddenly showed up on the wall, literally scaring me shitless. I couldn't squeeze out a log at all, as my mind was just set on getting away from that damn spider.

Problems also quickly arise when there is a curious hornet buzzing around me and my family when we're eating outside. I have an intense hatred for hornets as well as a fear of them, so my mind gets set on whacking it out of the sky (with a badminton racket) ASAP. It kinda sucks when there isn't any badminton rackets nearby, and there's an awfully curious hornet near me. I want to whack it, but i also fear getting stung, which i probably would get if i didn't kill it in one blow.

Fri May 29, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile WWW

ahahahahha Shock the shitless part made me lol hard.

WEll, i have a phobia too. Its the fear of high ceilings. Like in a church or something. I just get a feeling that... something will happen... And i absolutely detest mould/mold... Its ♥♥♥♥ gross and hideous and juck and etc.

Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Aichmophobia – fear of sharp or pointed objects (as a needle, knife or a pointing finger). Specifically needles. I fear syringes. I panic when I'm at the hospital if I have to get a shot, I don't know what it is, they don't particularly hurt. It just freaks me out so bad it takes 3-4 orderlies to hold me down, even if they are just drawing blood. the result is I can't ever donate blood. trypanophobia is another name for this specifically but I only just found it.

Necrophobia – fear of death, the dead. I am terrified of the thought of actually becoming dead. I'm afraid that everything will just fade to black and there won't be anything. No thought, no sense, no memory, no self. This scares the living piss out of me, and makes me pray we figure out immortality very freaking soon.

Somniphobia – fear of sleep. I don't dream, So what's the difference between sleep and death. to me there isn't one, and the result is I'm almost an insomniac. I'm afraid I'm going to try to go to sleep and i'll stop breathing, or my heart will stop, or I'll stop having brain function and never wake up (coma)

Maniaphobia - The Fear of Going Insane - This is quite possibly my favorite phobia. I'm not sure I've got it, because if I was afraid of going insane, how would I know if I was insane to fear it? and isn't it in and of itself a form of insanity, because its not normal to have an irrational fear? FFFFFFFF

Heliophobia/Heliophobic – aversion to sunlight. - This one is weird, I only just realized this had a name. this is also used as a clinical term regarding physical pain or blisters caused by sunlight. Sunlight, or being in sunlight hurts my eyes, even if i'm looking the opposite direction. It physically makes my skin feel hot, or even burning in some cases. One time I honestly felt like I was on fire. I do not know what causes this, or why it doesn't always happen. the result is I'm actually afraid of sunlight, especially in the summer.

Pedophobia, Pediophobia – fear/dislike of children - I hate children. there loud, noisy, messy, annoying, they never shut up, they always get in the way, and they make me uncomfortable. if there is ever a large group of children I usually run the opposite direction. This was actually also true when I WAS a Kid. there where very few kids I could talk to when I was one. this is partially the blame of why I've had such a messed up life.

Thalassophobia - the fear of the sea: That horrible horrible water that you can't see through. that sickly green, that you can't see but a few inches in, yet it stretches down for miles. what horrible creatures that we've never dreamed to see. we've found giant squids, viper-fish, fish that have been thought to be extinct since the Triassic period. fish so large they could swallow you whole and not notice. Fish so aggressive they will rip you to shreds, fish so poisonous that your dead before you feel it, and we don't even know one tenth of the sea's contents. we know more about the stars and the surface of the moon and all in the sky than we know about the sea and its contents. the sea that supports thick layers of moss floating near its surface. the sea that supports life at every extreme, the sea that drops below freezing but stays fluid. the sea that heats till it could melt metal but never boil. the sea is evil.and don't forget the city of R'lyeh in the pacific, god damn!... FNORD.

Fri May 29, 2009 9:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
Escalators. It's probably just because I've a terrible sense of balance, but escalators all the same.
Also seaweed, jellyfish, and other sea scum like that. IT'S ♥♥♥♥ SQUISHY EWW ♥♥♥♥ WHAT THE ♥♥♥♥ IS THIS DECOMPOSING ♥♥♥♥.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
Aichmophobia – fear of sharp or pointed objects (as a needle, knife or a pointing finger). Specifically needles. I fear syringes. I panic when I'm at the hospital if I have to get a shot, I don't know what it is, they don't particularly hurt. It just freaks me out so bad it takes 3-4 orderlies to hold me down, even if they are just drawing blood. the result is I can't ever donate blood. trypanophobia is another name for this specifically but I only just found it.

Necrophobia – fear of death, the dead. I am terrified of the thought of actually becoming dead. I'm afraid that everything will just fade to black and there won't be anything. No thought, no sense, no memory, no self. This scares the living piss out of me, and makes me pray we figure out immortality very freaking soon.

Somniphobia – fear of sleep. I don't dream, So what's the difference between sleep and death. to me there isn't one, and the result is I'm almost an insomniac. I'm afraid I'm going to try to go to sleep and i'll stop breathing, or my heart will stop, or I'll stop having brain function and never wake up (coma)

Maniaphobia - The Fear of Going Insane - This is quite possibly my favorite phobia. I'm not sure I've got it, because if I was afraid of going insane, how would I know if I was insane to fear it? and isn't it in and of itself a form of insanity, because its not normal to have an irrational fear? FFFFFFFF

Heliophobia/Heliophobic – aversion to sunlight. - This one is weird, I only just realized this had a name. this is also used as a clinical term regarding physical pain or blisters caused by sunlight. Sunlight, or being in sunlight hurts my eyes, even if i'm looking the opposite direction. It physically makes my skin feel hot, or even burning in some cases. One time I honestly felt like I was on fire. I do not know what causes this, or why it doesn't always happen. the result is I'm actually afraid of sunlight, especially in the summer.

Pedophobia, Pediophobia – fear/dislike of children - I hate children. there loud, noisy, messy, annoying, they never shut up, they always get in the way, and they make me uncomfortable. if there is ever a large group of children I usually run the opposite direction. This was actually also true when I WAS a Kid. there where very few kids I could talk to when I was one. this is partially the blame of why I've had such a messed up life.

Thalassophobia - the fear of the sea: That horrible horrible water that you can't see through. that sickly green, that you can't see but a few inches in, yet it stretches down for miles. what horrible creatures that we've never dreamed to see. we've found giant squids, viper-fish, fish that have been thought to be extinct since the Triassic period. fish so large they could swallow you whole and not notice. Fish so aggressive they will rip you to shreds, fish so poisonous that your dead before you feel it, and we don't even know one tenth of the sea's contents. we know more about the stars and the surface of the moon and all in the sky than we know about the sea and its contents. the sea that supports thick layers of moss floating near its surface. the sea that supports life at every extreme, the sea that drops below freezing but stays fluid. the sea that heats till it could melt metal but never boil. the sea is evil.and don't forget the city of R'lyeh in the pacific, god damn!... FNORD.

Syringes are normal to fear because if you see one it's an instant connection to shots.

Who isn't afraid of dying?

Get the ♥♥♥♥ out I don't dream you pussy, I eat nails for breakfast.

You're insane to fear going insane

YEAH SUNLIGHT HURTS MY EYES TOO BUT YOU DON'T SEE ME CALLING IT A PHOBIA

Seriously what the hell kids are cute you're just insane.

Uh-huh this is kinda normal.

All in all I think the evidence points to you being an insane man trapped on a raft surrounded by heroin junkie kids trying to slip sleeping pills into your food

EDIT: also the kids are deeeeeaaaad you killed them

Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Skiv wrote:

WEll, i have a phobia too. Its the fear of high ceilings. Like in a church or something. I just get a feeling that... something will happen... And i absolutely detest mould/mold... Its ♥♥♥♥ gross and hideous and juck and etc.

I used to have that when I was younger. Going to Home Depot and looking up scared me shitless.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

venn177 wrote:
Skiv wrote:

I used to have that when I was younger. Going to Home Depot and looking up scared me shitless.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:21 pm

If I saw that in real life, I'd do what Shook couldn't.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm
Profile WWW

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

I'm afraid only if i'm going to get stabbed.

I have some of this, but its not that i'm afraid of dying in a phobia-ish way, I do wonder the same things though - But then again, pretty much everyone normal does...

Are you kidding!? Sleeping is ♥♥♥♥ awesome :D

I hate noisy kids, makes me want to slap them till they shut the ♥♥♥♥ up.

Thalassophobia - the fear of the sea: That horrible horrible water that you can't see through. that sickly green, that you can't see but a few inches in, yet it stretches down for miles. what horrible creatures that we've never dreamed to see. we've found giant squids, viper-fish, fish that have been thought to be extinct since the Triassic period. fish so large they could swallow you whole and not notice. Fish so aggressive they will rip you to shreds, fish so poisonous that your dead before you feel it, and we don't even know one tenth of the sea's contents. we know more about the stars and the surface of the moon and all in the sky than we know about the sea and its contents. the sea that supports thick layers of moss floating near its surface. the sea that supports life at every extreme, the sea that drops below freezing but stays fluid. the sea that heats till it could melt metal but never boil. the sea is evil.

I have some of this too, the sea is scairy :S

Also have a slight fear of heights and dark alleys. And pedophiles.
Yeah, and spiders too, only big ones though.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Flowers scare the living hell out of me. I'm serious.
... though I don't think that phobia has a specific name. :P

It's kind of weird, because I don't usually feel fear of stuff. Sharp objects, fire, heights, explosions, gunfights, drunken people assaulting me in the streets, syringes, insects, lizards, snakes, dogs, nothing of that makes me even flinch. Once a swarm of killer bees attacked my neighborhood, and while everyone else was running away and screaming in terror, I couldn't keep myself from standing there, smiling and shouting "That is SO cool!"
Then I locked myself inside my house, just to be sure.
But when I see a flower... I panic. Instantly.
Please don't laugh at me. :P

Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 pm
Profile WWW

TheClamV2, GTFO srsly. im not starting a flame war but people like you only do things like that for attention. i wanted stories like that, and you'll just make people think "im going to get flamed" so they dont tell their stories. well played.

Last edited by the4runner on Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 pm
happy carebear mom

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
Aichmophobia
Necrophobia
Somniphobia

I hate needles too, though it's not as bad if I'm not looking at them. Usually I can control myself when the doc wants two vials. I have to look away when they show people getting stuck in movies.

Interesting, I kinda look forward to dying. Life is annoying, everybody and everything demands you attention. Kinda like your kids thing, I dislike life for the same kinda reasons. Messy, loud, annoying, etc.

I used to think I didn't dream either, but apparently everybody dreams. Some just don't remember it, and it feels like you got switched off then on again.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 pm

yeah I have a phobia of stupid people

Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Arachnophobia - fear of spiders, or scorpions.

Really, I have no clue as to what triggered this. This could've been triggered by seeing a huge spider as a little cute kindergardener, or it could've been from the unusually high amount of spiders in my old house.

Acrophobia - Fear of heights.

Really, I didn't ride my first roller coaster until Wednesday because of this. It was fun. But I still fear heights. It's even worse than Shook's fear of heights.

Now, let's talk about Philia's!
Wikipedia wrote:
are used to specify some kind of attraction or affinity to something, in particular the love or obsession with something. They are antonymic to suffixes -phob-.

Technophilia - Love of technology as a whole.
I've been taught how to fix computers 'n crap. So I can fix most problems without error. But I am not able to build my own machine, yet.

Arctophilia - Love of collecting teddy bears.
Yes, call me a child for this, but I just adore teddy bears. Especially the huge ones.

Japanophile - Strong intrest in Japan.
Not because of anime and stuff. I am part Japanese.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next