View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Starcraft Mod? 
Banned

Post Re: Starcraft Mod?
Eztuzt wrote:
And instead of the overlord, I have a new idea to create an organic-looking drop pod that lets zerglings out from both sides, and then turns into terrain when it scuttles(Without an explosion)

Easy. Very easy, actually. But overlords didn't land, they just kinda... floated there. A better use for them would be floating brains, since they relay the Overmind's will or whatever.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 pm
Profile YIM

Metal Meltdown wrote:
Eztuzt wrote:
And instead of the overlord

The floating brain idea is cool, though :O. Maybe take some coding from the floating sphere, add a sort of bobbing effect somehow, and reskin it :P

Protoss could have some sort of psionic orb, and terrans could have a radio thingy.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:49 pm

The Overlord is also a transport unit. It is possible to add an actor to craft and brains?

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Okay, I put together the marine in Paint.net. Might not have shoulderpads in finished product, though :(

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Contrary wrote:
The Overlord is also a transport unit. It is possible to add an actor to craft and brains?
You could make an invisible, unselectable craft that automatically opens its doors on input to the main unit.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 am
Profile WWW

Wow, you're a good spriter. I can't wait to see that zergling get made.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks. I love praise xD
You had some good Larva/Egg sprites too, but they might not be able to get used :/

And to elaborate a bit more on what im envisioning:

The Terran would have two ranged units, Marine and Goliath.
Protoss would have a ranged unit and a melee unit, Zealot and Dragoon
Zerg would have two melee units, Zergling and Ultralisk.

Terran would have the lightest armor, protoss would have medium, and the zerg would have the heaviest.

The Dragoon and Ultralisk would have to probably be crabs or turrets, since they have four legs.

Im going to probably make a wrist-mounted flamethrower liket he firebats have, so the Marine could be a firebat or a Marine 8D

Id love to see the goliath with craft-seeking missiles, and a machinegun.

The protoss and zergs would have an attack like something ive seen before, forgot which mod, but it would slash up-close. Like a sword. The zergling would use the claw sticking out above it.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:24 am

D'you mean the melee system of Darkstorm?

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Banned

The terrans should have the heaviest armor, imho. Certainly not the Zerg, since they are supposed to use swarms of very easily killed units.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 am
Profile YIM

I think it was darkstorm, with their punchyness.

And in CC, since the zerg would have to get closer, it would probably be a lot more balanced for them to have stronger armor, and the marines to have weaker armor, since they have more of a range advantage. In a cinematic from the first starcraft, a marine is shooting at two zerglings in one of the trenches, and the bullets fly off of the zergling's head-plate-thingys. In that same cinematic, a marine's armor is ripped to shreds by a zergling :O

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:01 am

Well if you manage to have effective swarms then you would want to have them lightly armoured.
Also, on the jumping AI, I think you could have effective waypoints if you talked to Abdul and got him to modify his flying dummy script to work with jumping. This, combined with some way for the mass issuing of goto commands and some way to allow for swarms without crushing would be awesome.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Banned

There's just one problem: Abdul's script has a fixed target and jump point.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:19 am
Profile YIM

Oh.
Hmm...
Well maybe you could do something with Lua to improve the jetpack pathfinding? At the moment the AI's solution to vertical movement is to use the jetpack until they hit the ground, move forward a bit and try again - and that's at best.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 am
Profile WWW

If you're making a Zerg mod, don't forget the Hydralisks. For the snakelike 'leg' I suggest making both feet invisible, and attach a fake one that animates when you move, or sprite one foot and leave the other invisible. With properly modified footparticles, though.

I think this is what we should have:
Zergs: zergling, hydralisk, ultralisk, drone (ground units); mutalisk, scourge, overlord (air units). Hydralisk don't have jumps, and thus less terrain-worthy. Air units could use Darlos' hover code. Overlord should have an invisible drop crate lua-welded on it. Scourges should be lua-homed to nearby hostiles.
Terrans: marine, firebat, ghost, medic, SCV (infantry); dropship (air unit). We can rebuild them all. We have the technology. Seconding that Marines should have armor weaker than zergs. The brain should be a sort of specialized Ghost (Cmdr. Strelkov(sp?) is one).
Protoss: zealot, dark templar, dragoon, probe (ground units); shuttle, observer, interceptor (air units). Brain would be a fixed structure that looks Protoss-y with crystal(s). Dragoon would be bigger than your usual crab, which would pose some problems with walkpaths. All have OAU-like shields around them, which regenerates over time.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I dont think ill be able to sprite all that soon by myself. We need to find another spriter if we wanna get anything done this week, because im going visit my family for Thanksgiving out-of-state this week.

I hate myself for forgetting protoss had shields. And btw how do you use the OAU shield? never got it to work >.<

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next