View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 The Emporeans - New and improved! 

Post Re: The Transients - They came from SPAAAACE!
This mod makes the scrap series look overpowered.
I love the designs and spriting and the detail, but while you say that they are hitech units, they are cardboard compared to default units.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:04 am

Exalion wrote:
wutangfan1990 wrote:
I like it but you should add some glow to the weapons and actor.

PLEASE NEVER EVER DO THIS! I'm sorry wutangfan1990, I'm going to have to kill you. Now go somewhere else, like the Tek troopers faction. Where glows are 'cool'.

Oh come on man.
Adding a pixel of glow can't hurt.

Sprites are awesome.
You should beef these up a bit more.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:04 am

Blah, I could fight a grizzly bear with the mood I'm in ATM. I was working on something ultra awesome for this mod (I mean ultra, fully new stuff.) But, suddenly, after I made a modification, I discovered two of my .ini files WOULDN'T READ! The index.ini correctly referred to them, mangling the filemane registered an error (meaning they are found by the game) but my actors aren't being read, none of them!

I have absolutely no clue what would cause this, is there some batch comment code I don't know about? Because I'm not getting any game errors relevant to this bug, save that my content is now missing.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:00 am
Profile WWW

I had that too at one point, but I am not sure what it was.

Okay, that wasn't a big help.
However, I think somewhere in your ini files there's a line that's incorrect, but isn't pointed out by the game as being incorrect.
Okay, that wasn't a big help either.

However, the game might give you a hint when you look at the startup screen, where all your stuff gets loaded. Try to see what ini file gets loaded last and what line it stops at before it enters the game. Then you have an idea for where to look.

If all else fails, post your borked mod over here so others can have a look. :)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:48 am

You didnt loose the text right?

You can try the method I used when my 10000 line .ini file got borked (bomb pack) I used the /* comment block */ or alternatively transfer all the code to a new file and then do this:

Start by adding the first parts of the code and run them in CC. If it loads, continue by adding more until you locate the problem roughly that it wont load.

When it doesnt load, take a brief look in the part you just added and find your error. After that run it again and if it loads, close CC and add the rest of the code and throw away that temporary file.

It works.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Their stomachs are very big. They look like fat bellied turtles.
AWESOME TURTLES

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:27 am

This is the kind of mod i like to see being made. It has a lot of character, and you aren't trying to be another Dark Storm or AAL (with respect). I can see that you're going for something else, which is healthy and something the modding community needs, in my opinion. This faction doesn't feel re-processed, doesn't feel like a pale imitation of something legendary or like someone who's just learning to mod. It feels original.

I say all this, but as far as playability is concerned it doesn't currently stand up to the original CC content or most other WIP mods that i've played. I know it's just the beginning and you're still working, but I'd like to know where it's going, what you've got planned.

I guess what i'm saying is that i would absolutely LOVE it if i were justifiably excited about this. But (for now) all i have reason to be is cautiously optimistic.

Keep up the good work.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:00 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the advice, Gotcha! and numgun. I've fixed the mod, crashed it, and fixed it again few times. The good news about that is it's because I've done some serious content rewrites, why, you ask?

There you go! That's what I've been slaving away on. I'm not completely happy with the arms yet, but everything else works pretty good. The actor does sink in soft materials like sand, but he's friggin' heavy when loaded. It was either let him sink but make it easy for him to walk over uneven terrain or give him big feet and let him get stuck in hills :P

@Allen: I really appreciate the in-depth post (not joking.) Honestly, people in your position tend to be the best critiquers. Go ahead and throw what it is that irks you about this mod at me. Is it just relative power stuff. And, if so, what specifically?
As per plans; I want to get some stable content that performs according to its cost. I want to keep these guys a bit nastier than vanilla actors, but not overdone, I also want them on par with the rest of the content. Other than that, I'm thinking I just about have the content set I want for now, until we can make flying war vehicles, that is ( multiple crab turrets on dropships, anyone?)

As far as playability / quality updates go in this latest release; I've resprited the Plasma Arc Pistol and am mostly happy with what I have there. I also revised some details on the LMI gun. Unfortunately, I haven't done much with the astronauts or giving them a custom emitter sprite. What would you guys like to see in this department? because, as far as I know, I can't put the jetpack on an attachable.

@The People's Party for More Glows (and cowbell) - The new heavy weapon has glows. I'll add them where I see fit, otherwise :P.

@People raving about this mod - Keep on enjoying, I'm glad people appreciate it!

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:52 am
Profile WWW

That looks like a space-fawn.
Awesome.

and also, these things die awfully easily...

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 am

Exalion wrote:
and also, these things die awfully easily...

And I thought you liked that.

Looks pretty tight that new guy, You say he sinks into the ground, the problem might be either in the mass, feet width, pushforce and/or offset for the feet.
Try messing with those around until something cool happens, backup first though.

Also if you fail, search for skilled volunteers and give them the mod for pimpin.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

Location: Hopefully in front of a gaming platform of some kind
I like the new actor, but i hope you make new and continue to improve the spaceman-like designs.

Also, using these guys on lunar tomato is tons of fun!

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Your attitude about glows NEEDS to be imitated. Glows are best used as tools, not set pieces. Like swearing in movies.

Also, i'll have to play it again with the new stuff to give more thoughts. This will happen in its due time.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:23 am
Profile WWW

I love the design of these things. I think they're very well done actors when it comes to the spriting, the attachments, and most of the coding, but I have quite a few gripes with these. I'm sorry to say this, but they're outright useless when pitted against most non-vanilla actors. Hell, when the Powered Armor uses a plasma injector, it blows itself up. I've made sure to test this numerous times. Every single test it took damage and blew up its gun. I suggest reworking them, but rather than using the vanilla base.rte actors, test these against enemies such as the Zealotians, DarkStorm clones, and the like. These guys look like they should be durable, so make 'em that way. I'd like to see small arms fire plink uselessly off their armor. I want to see non-direct explosions simply send 'em rolling backwards with some damage taken or a limb lost. As for their weapons, their workhorse rifle, in my opinion, should hold more shots and fire faster. It doesn't kill actors fast enough to act like a high-powered marksman weapon. If you want it to be a high powered marksman weapon, it should pop a DarkStorm clone's head clean off in one or two shots and cause wounds on even the most heavily armored enemies. These have great potential, and I'd like to see it as I would probably use these guys as my main faction.

These are all just suggestions. Feel free to ignore all of it if you wish. Just doing my job here on the forum. Good luck with progress on this faction. Can't wait to see what you come up with next as that Powered Combat Armor is really spiffy lookin' :3

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:08 pm

@Occular - I can agree to do more exhaustive testing. However, I can't make them the tanks you want them to be.

Mind you, you obviously put some good thought into that post (no sarcasm here.) So I'll see to making sure they can tank vanilla weapons better. As per making them plink off harmlessly, no can do. I want to make the armor realistic.

That's why I made it segmented in the first place; so that parts would get riddled full of holes and gib. I designed these guys to be competitive with vanilla actors and play well alongside or against them. As Allen said, this isn't intended to be another Dark Storm, AAL, or DSTech.

I want to do something different. That said, your suggestion about explosions is a good one. I may use a more resilient material for some of the armor so these guys don't go down so easily and don't have to worry about pistols and the like.

Also, as per the new weapon... yeah, I realized after Ir eleased it that the gibwoundlimit is AMAZINGLY low. I'll fix it. Other than that, I'll see if I can make it less suicidal to use. But the way the weapon works means that increasing range will make it pretty much useless at close ranges.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:07 am
Profile WWW

to cope with the minor explosions, I suggest increasing joint strengths, and possible upping the ImpulseDamageThreshold (which means falling won't hurt them as much).

just a tip.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next