View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (B23 only) 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (B23 only)

The B24 version can be found here.

UAV/Cruise Missile spawn: When the spawn unit has arrived, select it and use the movement keys to pick a direction. Up/down or the scroll wheel cycles through the UAVs and the fire key launch the selected version. UAV and cruise missiles will always spawn without inventory. The gold cost of any inventory will be returned to you at spawn. Usage of all ordnance will reduce the value of a UAV by 50-100 oz of gold.
UAV/Cruise Missile function: Increase the throttle by pressing and holding the up key. Drop bombs/Fire rockets/Ignite booster rocket with the crouch key. Fire machine guns/detonate the cruise missile with the fire key.
Turrets: The Anti Aircraft turrets can't be controlled by the player. A turret will automatically track and engage any enemy above itself using scripts. Laser turrets will attempt to shoot down Jericho missiles, cluster bombs and fuel air bombs. All turrets in one team are controlled by a turret control unit. Without this unit the turrets will not fire.

Credits: Grif for the original concept and gibs, MetalSlugSprites.net for the Metal Slug sprites, Darlos9D for the method used to display custom icons and for the idea of making aerodynamic lift depend on the speed if the aircraft. Zalo and 411570N3 for making me realize how to implement a minimap.

Jericho Missile: Deathbringer (maker of the Jericho), Mail2345 (lua) and Lambda (UAV-J sprite)
UAV spawn method: Samohan25
Fuel Air Bomb: Cheesemonkey
Fuel Air Bomb bug fix help: PhantomAGN and Lhowon

Please feel free to use my code for whatever you want.

Attachments:
File comment: 2010-01-15
UAV_R6.zip [436.51 KiB]
Downloaded 3377 times
File comment: 2010-03-30 - Mac compatible version of R6
UAV_R6_MacOS.zip [437.91 KiB]
Downloaded 673 times

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Post Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (B23)
YGMDL

Testing now.

Edit:

I like the drag effect, but it makes them really difficult to handle in anything other a huge open area with a lot of airspace. See if you can't make the turns tighter.

Scratch that, I can't even get them to turn around without crashing. I think due to the 2D plane of CC, only fixed wings that work without the laws of gravity can fly well. Then again, I may just be a horrible pilot. :/

Okay, so these work on Flat Lands. They pretty much dominate. But you need to find a way to give them a tighter turn radius, cause the plane drops out of the sky when you try to turn. I barely pulled up in time on flat lands. This is a good mod, decent sprites, fun to play with, but the planes don't turn well, Neither does the cruise missile. Tune up the turning.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Yep, needs tighter turn radius, or whatever. It's hard to make it turn around in most maps without sending it back to orbit.

Even with that said, this is excellent, I like it.

The weapon load-outs are really nice, and it really feels cool riding this thing. The controls are also improved from Grif's one. So thanks to you, and thanks to Grif too, for such cool plane mods.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:03 pm

The only thing I din't like about grif's was that sharp aim was bombs.

This is much better!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:23 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Darlos has a pretty neat lift script somewhere in Lua Scripting. More life w/ more velocity, etc.

Also, officially endorsing this mod, so y'all can just hold your bitching at the door. Kudos for doing something better. Did you by any chance fix the offsets? I actually came up with a way to do that, might implement it.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 pm

The plane sound seems too loud, maybe it's just because I'm using an earphone. However the game crashed when a high drag bomb got a direct hit onto a flak cannon, dunno if that's a bug.

Anyway, just played the mission and it's fun. The UAVs are actually needed for this mission, they make it much easier. Though I still prefer force landing one actor and go Rambo style behind enemy lines.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:35 pm

waaaaay too much rape of the fire puff MOSPs, but other than that nice implementation.
the icons give it some nice polish, but you should try using darlos9D's lift code.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:43 pm
Profile WWW

Would there be a way to animate the UAV banking with several frames? It'd take a lot of work though.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 pm

no, it wouldnt. it would take 5 anim frames and some ifs in the script O_o

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

Hmm, this is looking pretty good.

The only thing is that I would just make the turret sprites a bit better and the UAV's control a little tighter and faster. The pull needs to be easier like grif's plane

Otherwise the weapons are aweseom

Although I think the spriting could be better?

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Thank you all for the feedback.

Before looping you need to throttle up with the up-key. Unfortunately I forgot to mention this in my original post. The poor handling is still be a problem though, so I should probably go through the code again to figure out a way to make it both interesting to fly and easy to control.

About Darlos9D's lift code http://www.datarealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=14837&start=0&hilit=lift: I tried to use that but found it a bit simplistic so I developed my own instead. Completely forgot about it when writing the credits though.

The sprites could definitely be better, especially the turrets. The problem is my spriting skills are quite poor, so almost all of the sprites are Frankensteined from other sprites in CC and Metal Slug.

The offsets work now, and by using the functionality provided by the Vector-class no trigonometry is necessary.

The code for the AA-Turrets contain a pointer to the target actor, and if this pointer is messed up in any way the game might crash. I had a look at the code again and found a few lines that might be a bit risky, so this could have been the problem

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 am

Would it be possible to make the plane sprite undergo an animation while doing a loop, to appear that the plane does a 180 degree flip around the nose (about the x-axis), so that it doesn't look wonky while changing directions?

And I am having a blast with the cruise missile, I just love adding incendiary bombs/grenades to it's loadout and having a fiery payload.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:39 am
Profile WWW

Pretty cool, I like all the different weapons, and how they don't have infinite ammo. The test mission is pretty cool too.
duo9ace wrote:
and the UAV's control a little tighter and faster. The pull needs to be easier like grif's plane
exactly
Abdul Alhazred and duo9ace wrote:
The sprites could definitely be better, especially the turrets.
I like the turret sprites, they look like the vanilla metal barricades. In my opinion they're fine.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:53 am
Profile WWW

I kinda wish they DID have unlimited ammo....like in real life...CC life

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I thought these were great. If you do make it easier to turn in them and afterwards update it in some other way, please release an original drag-lift version of it.

I think it's fine as it is, but I went from Flatlands large to normal flatlands and I agree it was very hard to do anything useful.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next